Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,471 Posts
That's great - good work! If your water pump is leaking out of the little hole in the pump housing it shot and you will need a new one. If it isn't leaking there, I would drive it a bit, often times coolant leaks will kind of clog them selves up and go away. If it doesn't, you'll probably need to pull the pump off and reseal it. Way easier than dealing with the timing cover leaking so you've got that going for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks Biggum, appreciate all the help on this project. It's not leaking from the weep hole. Pump was new 10 months ago. The leak may be taking care of itself though. After I drove it for a bit I put a pan underneath to see how much of a leak I'm dealing with and there is hardly anything there. Just refilled the missing coolant and nothing is coming out static. So fingers crossed. I can deal with a small coolant leak, but that BIG oil leak from the cover just wasn't sustainable.

Mainly I'm just really happy the timing set, harmonic balancer and timing cover are all replaced and running well. It means I have no major projects on the horizon, knock on wood. But I've got plenty of bruises on my stomach and arms as battle scars from the project.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks Biggum, appreciate all the help on this project. It's not leaking from the weep hole. Pump was new 10 months ago. The leak may be taking care of itself though. After I drove it for a bit I put a pan underneath to see how much of a leak I'm dealing with and there is hardly anything there. Just refilled the missing coolant and nothing is coming out static. So fingers crossed. I can deal with a small coolant leak, but that BIG oil leak from the cover just wasn't sustainable.

Mainly I'm just really happy the timing set, harmonic balancer and timing cover are all replaced and running well. It means I have no major projects on the horizon, knock on wood. But I've got plenty of bruises on my stomach and arms as battle scars from the project.
I found the leak! It is coming from the bolt that the compressor and power steering pump sit on. Tomorrow I think I can remove the compressor unit so I can retorque that bolt without disassembling everything else. It’ll be tight but think I can do it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I found the leak! It is coming from the bolt that the compressor and power steering pump sit on. Tomorrow I think I can remove the compressor unit so I can retorque that bolt without disassembling everything else. It’ll be tight but think I can do it.
Correction. I did find the leak, but it is due to operator error. There are two small bolts that hold the metal plate on to the back of the water pump. I didn't put one of them on. Hence the leak. At least now I know where that "extra" bolt goes. Looks like I do have to take the water pump off to fix it. Sigh....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Correction. I did find the leak, but it is due to operator error. There are two small bolts that hold the metal plate on to the back of the water pump. I didn't put one of them on. Hence the leak. At least now I know where that "extra" bolt goes. Looks like I do have to take the water pump off to fix it. Sigh....
Update. Water leak appears to be fixed. Had to buy two new water pump gaskets, clean everything up and reinstall. Now I don't see any water leaking. Zero

Bad news is that now I see a small oil leak. It is coming from the area around the oil pressure sensor and seal by the timing cover (drivers side). I took the sensor off and reinstalled it with some teflon tape while the timing cover was off. I put it on fairly tight, but I could still some exposed threads. Didn't want to risk cracking the block. So now I'm wondering if I cracked the new timing cover when I reinstalled the water pump. Although I torqued everything down to 20 lbs. The only stud I would suspect is the one the compressor is attached to because those bolts torque to 50 lbs.

Big storm is inbound now, so probably won't get a chance to investigate it until Wednesday. It's not a huge oil leak, but since it wasn't leaking before (when I had the water leak) it makes me wonder.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,471 Posts
Well that’s a bummer. Hopefully it’s just the pressure fitting - you do need RTV or tape or thread sealed on those. They don’t need to be super tight though if you use sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well that’s a bummer. Hopefully it’s just the pressure fitting - you do need RTV or tape or thread sealed on those. They don’t need to be super tight though if you use sealant.

Hoping that’s the case. I’ve ordered the 1 1/16 socket and a new pressure switch to install.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Update. Water leak appears to be fixed. Had to buy two new water pump gaskets, clean everything up and reinstall. Now I don't see any water leaking. Zero

Bad news is that now I see a small oil leak. It is coming from the area around the oil pressure sensor and seal by the timing cover (drivers side). I took the sensor off and reinstalled it with some teflon tape while the timing cover was off. I put it on fairly tight, but I could still some exposed threads. Didn't want to risk cracking the block. So now I'm wondering if I cracked the new timing cover when I reinstalled the water pump. Although I torqued everything down to 20 lbs. The only stud I would suspect is the one the compressor is attached to because those bolts torque to 50 lbs.

Big storm is inbound now, so probably won't get a chance to investigate it until Wednesday. It's not a huge oil leak, but since it wasn't leaking before (when I had the water leak) it makes me wonder.
DO NOT PUT TEFLON on the sender unit. it can prevent a ground for the gauge. I just had to fix this issue that the PO on my truck did, his gauges hadn't worked since he put in the new motor. use a liquid thread sealer instead, or if you have to use teflon, set up a ground wire or make sure there are a few threads with clean engagement to the block.

Reactions: Siggy89

·
Registered
223 Posts
In your photo it’s hard to see the dots but it looks like you cam needs to rotate just a bit clockwise and your crank needs to rotate a bit more than that counter clockwise.

for future reference, that is clockwise for both gears, not clockwise for one and counter for the other. Also, as it looks in this picture, the crank is 2x the angle of the cam, which is correct, so the timing was correct when you pulled the old chain off, you could have slid the new chain set on without touching either and it would have been fine, but realigning them to the 12 o'lock and 6 o'clock position is perfectly acceptable and a fail safe method.

and as long as the dots line up at bottom to top, they cannot be out of phase. if you over rotated the cam, it would travel through all 4 cycles to get back to the bottom, and if you over rotated the crank it would go through 2 cycles, but that is ok, because for the crank the 1st and 2nd cycle are identical to the 3rd and 4th.

the biggest thing you need to pay attention to is the dizzy location if you have to pull that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
DO NOT PUT TEFLON on the sender unit. it can prevent a ground for the gauge. I just had to fix this issue that the PO on my truck did, his gauges hadn't worked since he put in the new motor. use a liquid thread sealer instead, or if you have to use teflon, set up a ground wire or make sure there are a few threads with clean engagement to the block.
Thanks for the advice man. I'll skip the teflon from now on. Hope to remove/replace the pressure switch tomorrow once the part and tool arrive (and the rain stops). Good stuff on the timing as well, thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'm hoping this is the last post on this thread. I fixed it. No more leak! I used the 1 1/16 socket, and new oil pressure switch, and some high temp thread sealant for good luck. Torqued it down to 15 lbs and no more leak. Glad that it was coming from the oil switch and not the timing cover. That would have made for a different story.

Thanks to everyone that help me out through the process of fixing the dreaded Bronco oil leak from the timing cover. I'll be sure to return the favor down the road.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts