Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oil drip about every minute or so coming from between the oil sending unit and the oil filter. This is on a 1990 302. The oil filter doesn't have a oil cooler, so I wouldn't think it is that. The oil drip is hitting on the block exactly parallel with the oil sending unit. Right between the oil sending unit and the oil filter. It then drips down onto the drivers front corner of the oil pan.

Also, it is not from the oil sending unit.. I degreased the engine and check it closely.

It has to be coming from something that is above or the same height as the oil sending unit.

Any idea where it could be coming from?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
head gasket area? intake gasket area? valve cover area? mine leak a little,
here's a pic of my 351 naked, from what i understand the 302 will be arranged similarly, but you can see all the mating surfaces that can and do leak (this is after i washed it:rofl:)

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
If it was your head gasket, you would have other more serious issues. I suspect the valve cover. You should buy a lottery ticket because that is an easey fix. If it was the pas side, it would take several hours to fix.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
If it was your head gasket, you would have other more serious issues.
:shrug mine seep oil, i guess i really need to do a compression and leakdown test but there's no obvious bad signs (oil/gas/exhaust in water, etc.)

i need to do those tests but i can't to shit about it if i do find something, so no real point to it right now

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thats the general area I see oil seaping out of. The gasket looks to be separating into individual layers.
Ill just baby it and fix it this summer (after May). Ill do the valve covers, intake gaskets and the head gaskets.

No fluids of mine are mixing... Yet anyway. So far, so good for 190k miles.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
I had that same leak there but it was coming from the valve cover gasket, so I replaced it and I'm good to go now ~ Thing is, with new/ old I snug/torque the VC bolts all the time due to hot/cold expansion anyway.

I hate oil leaks PITA, the other leak I have now is the passenger valve cover which leaks from the back and travels all the way down and accumulates right where the tranny dust cover is and goes all over the tranny pan so I'm constantly cleaning.

I'm getting ready for a motor rebuild soon so I'll wait to replace everything.:twak

:thumbup

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Honestly. I think your truck is crying b/c it has a FRAM filter stuck to it.
:doh0715:
:topic
do you people not read the threads or even notice that the OP and the guy who posted the picture are not the same,
enough of the damned brand bashing, and try to stay on topic, especially seeing as the filter ain't got shit to do with the OP's question:rolleyes:

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
mine popped on me never will use one again
i had a motorcraft one pop on me, but i didnt stop using them.

i wouldnt use fram either

·
Registered
607 Posts
I use Motorcraft. Hasn't failed me yet. :thumbup

I might switch to K&N though, I heard good things about it. :shrug

I too also have a leak from the Valve cover/Head gaskets. Not really sure where need to give a good cleaning. :duh

D

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Both from Walmart?

The motorcraft sold at Walmart is actually Fram.
yes.

I calls shens unless you can prove it.

I think you are incorrect.

That's what my motorcraft filter looks like, except with the new style writing. Advanced auto, autozone, the ford dealer, and walmart all have the same exact filter. I heard if the motorcraft filter doesn't have the little ridged area at the top (as shown above), then it is not a genuine motorcraft filter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts