Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question for your 302 gurus. I just purchased a 89 bronco and was very excited until I realized after my 50 mile drive home it is now dropping oil, lots of it. I originally thought it was rear main seal until I noticed that not only is the oil dripping down the bottom of the trans it is also all over the top of the trans. I was thinking maybe valve cover but it seems like alot of oil for a valve cover. I also noticed its a little overfilled I dont know if that makes a difference for these motors. Also it is not trans fluid I already read the threads about them overheating and its def oil not trans fluid. Any suggestions on places to check or common issues would be great. Thanks alot for the help.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Could be plugged up oil return holes in the heads or check the valley pan.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The oil leak is oddly enough slowing down alot. I am think/hoping it was relates to there being to much oil in it. Thanks again.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
if it sat for awhile it may reseal itself after driving it for awhile.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
no problem. that might be your issue, just keep an eye on the leak and the oil level.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I found a nasty leak at the vc so I replaced the vc and thats not where the oil is coming from. The leak is definitely high and it only happens after drives of more than 15 minutes or so. If I just drive it around the block it doesnt drip oil its only when I really take it for a nice spin that it leaks. I researched what you said and honestly didnt find much info on the items you mentioned. Seems like the valley pan has something to do with the lower intake? Sorry for my ignorance but this is my first v8. Anymore suggestions or details would be great. Thanks

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
power wash and degrease the entire engine. then run it and find out exactly where it's leaking from. you aren't going to find a leak with an engine covered in grease, oil and dirt.

take pics and give us an update....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts