Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oil coming from the front of my engine. It is coming out from below the crank. So I am thinking it is either the oil pan or the front main seal (if there is something like that) I just recently put in a new oil pump and There is a good chance it could be that. I just didn't know if the oil level got high enough to start to leak from that area in the oil pan? I don't want to have to do more work that I have to. Let me know what you guys think.

edit: it only does it when it is warmed up

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
congrats its probably the front part of the oil pan seal right below the crank, broncos seem to do that alot, you either didnt get it on right when putting the pan back on or it slipped in during the reinstall, good news! you get to do it all over again! or you can do it super cheap-o style like i did once and rtv the shit out of it (NOT A GOOD IDEA)

·
Lick my
2,091 Posts
colinlesser said:
congrats its probably the front part of the oil pan seal right below the crank, broncos seem to do that alot, you either didnt get it on right when putting the pan back on or it slipped in during the reinstall, good news! you get to do it all over again! or you can do it super cheap-o style like i did once and rtv the shit out of it (NOT A GOOD IDEA)

Do you have ANY idea on how to do anything at all? Keep your mouth shut and let the experts help out.

nbaff, it sounds like the front seal. The front seal kit is like 12 bucks and takes about 6 or so hours (with beer breaks). I think the whole kit includes the front pan gasket so you can get that knocked out too just in case.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
What kind od oil pan gasket did you use the first time? if it is not coming from the oil pain it could be the front seal and i think the timing chain cover has to come off for that. not a bad job as long as it all goes well, but a long one. hope you dont mind getting dirt, and go ahead and replace the timing chain and gears while you are in there. so you dont have to do it again

·
Registered
304 Posts
when you did the pump did you use a 1 piece rubber oil pan gasket or a 4 piece cork and rubber one??

As for the front seal, it is not that hard... but does require a puller to get the crank off....

Also, a speedy sleeze is a good idea too... the crank pully will most likley have a groove worn into it, and this sleeve will slide right over it and give the seal a nice clean new surface...

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the 4 piece deal, that is all they had? Can I find a different one? What is a speedy sleeve? and where do I find them? I can't seem to find the part that I think that I need? Any more advise

it is a 351M just so you guys know

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
nbaff said:
I have a oil coming from the front of my engine. It is coming out from below the crank. So I am thinking it is either the oil pan or the front main seal (if there is something like that) I just recently put in a new oil pump and There is a good chance it could be that. I just didn't know if the oil level got high enough to start to leak from that area in the oil pan? I don't want to have to do more work that I have to. Let me know what you guys think.

edit: it only does it when it is warmed up
If it wasn't leaking before, I would suspect you installed the oil pan gasket incorrectly. To be sure clean the front of your motor and keep checking the front of your motor to see where it is coming from.

83bronco5.0 [B said:
Do[/B] you have ANY idea on how to do anything at all? Keep your mouth shut and let the experts help out.

nbaff, it sounds like the front seal. The front seal kit is like 12 bucks and takes about 6 or so hours (with beer breaks). I think the whole kit includes the front pan gasket so you can get that knocked out too just in case
Man you dislike collin so much that when he makes sense, he is still wrong in your eyes. Between you and oldyellar, this is really getting annoying. As far as experts go, who here can actually call themselves an expert? I can't.

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input I am going to go clean it real good and then see I hope it is the oil pan gasket

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
nbaff said:
thanks for the input I am going to go clean it real good and then see I hope it is the oil pan gasket
Actually, if it were me, I would hope it was the seal

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i don't want to get into the middle of this little fued but it looks like it is the oil pan gasket right at the front.

next question is there any way i can just lower the front with out undoing the rear. cause man that thing is a pain in the ass

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
nbaff said:
well i don't want to get into the middle of this little fued but it looks like it is the oil pan gasket right at the front.

next question is there any way i can just lower the front with out undoing the rear. cause man that thing is a pain in the ass
No, not if you want this to be the last time you drop the oil pan. It's because it is such a PITA that I would rather replace the front seal. Make sure you spend the money on the one piece rubber gasket. It will make your life soooooooo much easier.

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it doesn't look like i am going to be able to find the one piece gasket. old two piece for me. well let the games begin

·
Lick my
2,091 Posts
colinlesser said:
the thing is the front seal shouldnt just blow out cuase you did you oil pan, so therefore it is almost certainly the pan

It has nothing to do with the oil pan. It wouldnt pour out like he describes if it was the OP gasket. You have had to have actually done work on cars to understand this, okay. You dont figure shit out by wasting money and doing it twice. You dont know your ass from a hole in the ground. Hey, check the TPS, it might be the source of the leak.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
think about it, why would it just start leaking all the sudden? the last thing he messed with was the oil pan gasket so thats why im saying that is what it is

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
I recently did a water pump and t/c cover and after I put it back on the OP gasket was leaking a little from the front so I applied a generous helping of RTV to that spot and it leaks no more. Until I get the time to change the OP gasket. :D I would not call that a permanent fix but it will get you around for a few weeks.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
83bronco5.0 said:
It has nothing to do with the oil pan. It wouldnt pour out like he describes if it was the OP gasket. You have had to have actually done work on cars to understand this, okay. You dont figure shit out by wasting money and doing it twice. You dont know your ass from a hole in the ground. Hey, check the TPS, it might be the source of the leak.
I know there is debate in this thread, but lets please keep it on a less personal note. Thank you.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
83bronco5.0 said:
Actually it can be the front oil seal. He said he changed the oil pump, and that leads me to believe the front part of the gasket either got tore or shifted during the re-install thus leading to oil coming out of the front of the pan. and it wont leak when it is cold because the oil is settled, and when it si warmed up it is moving around in there so collin does have a point.

we can not tell by what he is telling us, you have to see it for yourself. if it is the front seal he has to pull the timing cover off to change it, if it is the front of the pan he can just drop the pan and reseet the gasket. see the difference? you might also want to recheck the torque on your pan as well, just in case that is it.

ken

1 - 20 of 23 Posts