Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 90 (5.8 EFI) is eating oil....leaks a bit but I am eating a quart every 5 days or so. But I don't have smoking (other than right after start up). Where the hell is it going?

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
i think you are looking at time for a rebuild. you are burning oil there is nothing else about it. oil just doesnt dissapear. you may not see any smoke but if you are going through oil at that rate. start saving money

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Read your spark plugs. They'll tell you if you're leaking it or burning it.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
psygn0sis said:
Rear Main Seal ?

I know mine is leaking :banghead

the rear main will not leak that much if it is bad. he is adding a quart every 5 days with no puddles. i look at the rear main like this. it is a pita to fix and expensive as hell to pay someone to do it. so live with it if it aint bad.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drop some each day but not enough to net a quart over 5 days. And I have a few small leaks aroundthe gasket cover so if I deal with the leaks first, then I will see what i am really burning.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
The 5.8 is known to develop oil leaks at the base of the intake at the back of the engine where you can't see it. I know my '90 leaks like a sieve back there. Might be good to check and it's a hell of a lot easier to fix that than a rear main seal leak.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
how's a good way of checking the intake leak if it's hard to see? remove something?

I'm leaking too . . . I just don't even know from where . . . three puddles everyday . . . and it's a 1994 :(

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
If you have smoke on startup, you have worn exhaust valve guides. You can pull a huge amount of oil past the guides and never see smoke from inside the vehicle unless conditions are just right. The best way to check is to have someone follow you as you coast down a long hill. If the guides ARE bad, it'll be pretty evident.

If you were leaking a quart every 5 days, you'd have an oil lake in your normal parking spot and the bottom of the truck would be dripping. That much oil doesn't just disappear.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Larston said:
If you have smoke on startup, you have worn exhaust valve guides. You can pull a huge amount of oil past the guides and never see smoke from inside the vehicle unless conditions are just right. The best way to check is to have someone follow you as you coast down a long hill. If the guides ARE bad, it'll be pretty evident.
I'm a rookie here....what will they see?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
pjmorgan22 said:
I'm a rookie here....what will they see?
When the exhaust valve guides wear out, you can draw oil through them on deceleration due to vacuum in the exhaust ports. If you hit the top of the hill at 50mph or so and downshift into second, the exhaust will start blowing blue smoke after a couple seconds. If you're losing that much oil, it should make quite a cloud.

Just to be clear, this may not be your problem at all, but I've seen this problem on a lot of cars. Other sources for burning oil are rings, which generally smoke during cruise and idle, intake guides which which smoke a lot at idle, and leaky intake gaskets which can draw oil anytime you have high vacuum in the manifold, but it'll generally idle pretty bad as well.

As mentioned, you can lose oil while driving without necessarily getting a puddle, but with that much usage, the bottom of the truck would be pretty well coated with oil.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks....the bottom does have quite a bit of oil but I do not have much smoking. It does idle like hell at all times.

This is going to be a summer of restoring this beast to glory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts