Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i moved my bronco yesterday, about ten feet and it cut off on me. it ran roughly the entire time. I then checked for a spark, which it had, and sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body but it still didnt crank. I then proceeded to pull a spark plug for visual inspection. The plug was covered in oil, problem found i hope. My question is what should i do now?? Is it a vaccuum thing or intake manifold gasket??

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
sounds like the valve stem seals in the heads went bad and are leaking while it sits, they can be replaced easily with the right tools but id be checking your pcv valve for issues first b/c other then the valve stem seals, rings, or pcv valve i dont see any other way it could get oil into the cylinders

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
When would you need to use this?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
When would you need to use this?
[/QUOTE]

:shrug

That's a differential case spreader... you use it when you're working on the differential... what did that have to do with his oil burning problem?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
:shrug

That's a differential case spreader... you use it when you're working on the differential... what did that have to do with his oil burning problem?
Nothing. It was on his supermotors page so I thought Id ask.
I can see what it does and I figured its for working on a diff.
that much I put together on my own. Why would you want to
spread a diff.?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
you dont have to take the heads off if you can get the adapter to fill each cylinder with air while you remove the springs and replace the seals, the adapter goes in place of the spark plugs, you have the turn each cylinder to tdc when working on it to hold the valves closed long enough to get pressure in there,

ive also learned that a length of rope fed into the plug holes while the piston forces the rope to hold the valves up then you change the seals,

otherwise if you have the time and money on the extra seals and gaskets you can take the heads out

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Since you sprayed starter fluid into a non-running engine, I bet the plugs are wet with starter fluid, not oil. Grab a propane torch, burn the plugs off, and stick them back in, then keep looking for your no start.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Since you sprayed starter fluid into a non-running engine, I bet the plugs are wet with starter fluid, not oil. Grab a propane torch, burn the plugs off, and stick them back in, then keep looking for your no start.

he says hes got spark and fuel so i dont know why it wont run.......timing?

the above is my thoughts on his oil problems on the plugs

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont think its the starter fluid, its black motor oil, i can smell that its motor oil. im gonna go ahead and replace the pcv valve later tonight. I started take the motor apart and i noticed new oil(just changed the oil and it idled a little before it quit running) in the throttle body on the gasket, both sides. does that help anything??

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You don't have any other crankcase leaks (oil pan, valve covers, etc.), do you? Was it just one plug that was covered in oil?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay, i pulled the 5, 6, and 7 spark plugs and they all look the same. Its pretty much a cross between the oil and soot deposit pictures in the haynes manual. I said oil because the first one i pulled was glossy with oil, the they are all BLACK, where the soot picture shows part of it not discolored. I will add pics tonight. to change the pcv valve will i have to pull the upper intake manifold off??

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
the pcv is tuff to get to, but i don't think you need to take off the upper.
clean those plugs real well and put them back in. it sounds to me like you are running rich.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
the pcv is tuff to get to, but i don't think you need to take off the upper.
clean those plugs real well and put them back in. it sounds to me like you are running rich.
right you dont have to remove anything to r & r the pcv valve,

i was also thinking that it could be the fuel press regulater or stuck injectors, some sort of rich condition BUT he said it had ran fine till just one day he fired it up and it died on him and wont start anymore, he says hes got spark and fuel

id start with a fuel press test, then id check the color of the arch on the plugs, the FP should be 40-45 lbs, and the spark IIRC should be a nice white snapping arch, if the spark is at all orange or yellow its too weak and you got ignition probs

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
youve got a 96 there man i would of pulled codes first, see if you can get a code reader or someone who can pull codes for ya and then we can accuratly solve this problem

right now its just a shot in the dark geussing game

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
definitely pull codes on that obd2, for some reason i thought you had. read a few threads today.
sam here i didnt notice the OBD-II till just then

been doin alot of readin on the m90 supercharger swap

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
I would do a compression check, make sure it is holding GOOD compression. Maybe the rings aren't sealing or the valve seals are gone.

Def. pull codes if there are any....but i don't think there will be anything there.

What cylinder was covered in oil?

It kinda sounds like you have blowby as well. Does your air intake have oil in it?

Try disconnecting the pcv valve(plug vaccum port) and the vent on the other valve cover. Take out the plugs, clean them up good. turn the engine over for a bit to try to clear the crap out of the cylinders. Maybe spray some brake clean or starter fluid in the plug holes to get the junk out. put the plugs back in and see if it fires. You shouldn't have to use starter fluid on it.

If things end up being really bad, and you need a hand, let me know, I don't know everything, but ive rebuilt a few small blocks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts