Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's what the last 4 nights worth of wet dreams have done to me,

first I switch to synthetic then route the oil something like this
oil pan-->--->Acumulator-->--->bypass filters -->--->-homemade tranny turned oil cooler--->-lucas oil stabalizer--->--302 engine w/ 170k+ that was definatly maybe "rebuilt 20k ago"

am I wasting my time with such a possibly high mile engine? Is my time and money better spent somewhere else?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its not done yet, this is what my proposed next project is, should have made that clearer.

stoked, not sure if that was sarcastic or not but either way Im replacing the heads with a nice shiny (still used) set that will be port and polished new hardware, yadda yadda yadda. The heads are one of those dragging neverending projects that will probably never be totally finished.
Back on topic, so its not too much then?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
DeepSeaSnake said:
here's what the last 4 nights worth of wet dreams have done to me,

first I switch to synthetic then route the oil something like this
oil pan-->--->Acumulator-->--->bypass filters -->--->-homemade tranny turned oil cooler--->-lucas oil stabalizer--->--302 engine w/ 170k+ that was definatly maybe "rebuilt 20k ago"

am I wasting my time with such a possibly high mile engine? Is my time and money better spent somewhere else?
DeepSeaSnake

A Moroso oil accumulator is never wasted money, even on a high mileage motor. It's been proven to prolong engine life on engines of all ages and virtually prevent engine start up damage if used from day one. I just wish I could afford one, I'd do it right now.

Watch that synthetic oil if you are burning or leaking any oil now. Synthetic has a way of finding it's way past worn rings, valve seals and engine gaskets and seals much easier than dino oil. Another question I'd ask, if I were you, would be is Lucas oil stabilizer effective when used with synthetics or just dino oil.

Don't know much about engine oil coolers on V-8s, I used to run one on a British 4 cylinder I raced 20 years ago. Firm believer in the biggest tranny cooler money can buy, but get the type where the fluid runs inside the fins, not the cheap ones that are just tubing with external tin fins. Also thicker is better. The 1 1/2" thick units are much better than the 3/4" thick units.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Do those engine oil cooler kits allow you to relocate the engine oil filter to a remote housing ? I'd love to move mine to a location that mounted it vertically so I didn't undercoat my crossmember with every oil change.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Sixlitre said:
DeepSeaSnake

A Moroso oil accumulator is never wasted money, even on a high mileage motor. It's been proven to prolong engine life on engines of all ages and virtually prevent engine start up damage if used from day one. I just wish I could afford one, I'd do it right now.

Watch that synthetic oil if you are burning or leaking any oil now. Synthetic has a way of finding it's way past worn rings, valve seals and engine gaskets and seals much easier than dino oil. Another question I'd ask, if I were you, would be is Lucas oil stabilizer effective when used with synthetics or just dino oil.

Don't know much about engine oil coolers on V-8s, I used to run one on a British 4 cylinder I raced 20 years ago. Firm believer in the biggest tranny cooler money can buy, but get the type where the fluid runs inside the fins, not the cheap ones that are just tubing with external tin fins. Also thicker is better. The 1 1/2" thick units are much better than the 3/4" thick units.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Do those engine oil cooler kits allow you to relocate the engine oil filter to a remote housing ? I'd love to move mine to a location that mounted it vertically so I didn't undercoat my crossmember with every oil change.
Yep, Snythetic I would steer away from unless the motor is fairly new.

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
DeepSeaSnake said:
well its not done yet, this is what my proposed next project is, should have made that clearer.

stoked, not sure if that was sarcastic or not but either way Im replacing the heads with a nice shiny (still used) set that will be port and polished new hardware, yadda yadda yadda. The heads are one of those dragging neverending projects that will probably never be totally finished.
Back on topic, so its not too much then?
Nope, i still think those heads have Zero of the gunk that all the engines i have worked on.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
i use a oil cooler on mine and i gained about 20psi of pressure when the truck is totally warm...i love it..you can get the style that moves the filter or you can just go with the sandwich mount and leave the filter where it is.....the accumulator will be installed on my 351....so i say your ideas don't sound out of hand except for the lucas oil part, because i don't beleive any of those additives...but never hurts to try it...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the lucas stuff is pretty popular, a few guys run it here and I've seen it more than once praised on pirate, not sure if it runs w/ synthetic or not so I'll have to check that.

stoked, thanks I didnt really know what I was looking at when I pulled the manifold so I just started scrubbin. I thought I might be in trouble because of all that build up on the valve(?)

Six, the proposed oil bypass relocates the stock filter and adds 2 additional filters one rated 5 microns the second <1

if I did the whole system what would be your guys guess to added volume? the accumulator alone adds 3 qts plus the hoses to connect everything what should my oil change intervals be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts