Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my pan gasket a few years ago and used a 1 piece gasket. The gasket set I have uses 4 pieces. There are the two sides (cork) and then the front and rear (rubber). I just don't like the way they sit. Seems a one piece would seal much better. Should I get another gasket or use what came in the engine kit? What do you think?

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Fel-Pro. Enough Said.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drilim said:
Fel-Pro. Enough Said.
I called a couple area stores (most of them closed) and no one piece sets. So I just put the 4 piece in. They are Fel-Pro by the way. It was easy because it's upside down and it fit well. I just didn't like the 4 seams. But I gooped them well so there shouldn't be or better not be a problem.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you need to resort to using the 4 piece gasket, try this when installing it: Buy a tube of the yellow super weatherstrip adhesive (Ithink it has a 9001 number on it) and some of the red hi-temp silicone. Glue the gasket to the block with the yeallow adhesive, even on the rubber end pieces and in the four corners. Let it set up a little bit and then apply a thin layer of the red silicone all the way around with an extra dab in each corner. I have done this on every motor I've put together and so far no leaks. Hope this might be of help to somebody

·
Registered
738 Posts
Same thing goes with transmission pans as well. Glue the gasket to the pan and apply a very thin layer of silicone to the gasket and voila! No leaks

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
pickleweasel said:
If you need to resort to using the 4 piece gasket, try this when installing it: Buy a tube of the yellow super weatherstrip adhesive (Ithink it has a 9001 number on it) and some of the red hi-temp silicone. Glue the gasket to the block with the yeallow adhesive, even on the rubber end pieces and in the four corners. Let it set up a little bit and then apply a thin layer of the red silicone all the way around with an extra dab in each corner. I have done this on every motor I've put together and so far no leaks. Hope this might be of help to somebody

what works even better is a product the call Gasgacinch, edelbrock has version of it too....just like weaterstrip adheasive but thin like superglue....then use the rtv silicone. Personally i hate the 4 piece design too....i have replaced mine, goin on the third time now in one year. for my straight six though
:cry

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Hey pickleweasel, look up in the left hand corner of each post to see the date... you just resurrected* this thread. He's probably been done with this project for weeks. Good advice though, I'll remember that.:thumbup

·
nolongeraregistereduser
656 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
Hey pickleweasel, look up in the left hand corner of each post to see the date... you just resurrected* this thread. He's probably been done with this project for weeks. Good advice though, I'll remember that.:thumbup

Isn't that the point of everyone yelling to use search all the time, to add to exsisting information, rather than having 20 threads on the same topic? It'll probably help the next guy with this project, my gaskets been done a few weeks now too..... It is a good idea, I'll have to remember it though :thumbup

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Stomper4x4 said:
Isn't that the point of everyone yelling to use search all the time, to add to exsisting information, rather than having 20 threads on the same topic? It'll probably help the next guy with this project, my gaskets been done a few weeks now too..... It is a good idea, I'll have to remember it though :thumbup
No, the point of the search button is so people don't keep asking the same damn questions. He wasn't looking for info, he was adding his .02 to an old thread! (aside from the fact that it was good .02) There's no need to get your panties in a bunch whilst I politely show some forum dont's to a newbie. :twak No harm no foul, just pointing out the obvious. :beer

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,482 Posts
Probably too late to matter but my engine rebuild came with the 4 piece you got and they packaged an individual 1 piece along with mine.
Means alot to me when they guys giving me my engine think it's important enough to throw in an extra like that. :thumbup
(I was going to include a pic, but SFO is on the blink again)

·
Registered
738 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
No, the point of the search button is so people don't keep asking the same damn questions. He wasn't looking for info, he was adding his .02 to an old thread! (aside from the fact that it was good .02) There's no need to get your panties in a bunch whilst I politely show some forum dont's to a newbie. :twak No harm no foul, just pointing out the obvious. :beer
Yeah, I'm new to the whole forum thing but I'll puth that on file in the old melon to remember next time i go to posting :beer Thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
738 Posts
pickleweasel said:
Yeah, I'm new to the whole forum thing but I'll puth that on file in the old melon to remember next time i go to posting :beer Thanks for the help so far
I'll also learn how to spell. puth? oh well :chili:

·
nolongeraregistereduser
656 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
Wasn't getting my undies in a bunch, sorry if it came across that way :brownbag . I was just thinkin, what harm is it to add useful ideas to an old thread, so that when someone searches, BAM all in one place! Just my 2c. Maybe it is a forum no-no, what do I know :toothless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts