Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 302 in my 82 Bronco just went upwell, not just went up ....but here recently....dunno what happened but I'm planning on getting it rebuilt. But in the mean time, I went out and bought an old Ford Grannada 302 to put back in it. Well, I knew I had to swap out the oil pans cause I needed the rear sump and the Grannada 302 had a front sump. So I went to swap'em out and I realized that they had different places where the dip stick went in the blocks. My Bronco's 302 had it going into the side of the block....but the Grannada's was in the front of the motor. So now if I use my Bronco's oil pan, the dipstick will be up front were there is no sump... Do they make an oilpan with the dip stick comming directly out of the oilpan it's self? Or was there a year that something had an oil pan similiar to what I need that I could try to find? I've gotta get this back together here soon....it's been sitting a month now cause I've got no clue what to do......Then I remembered about this site and figured surely that someone here would know....Somebody HELP....PLEASE!!!!!:cry

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
If I remember the 351W and 302 bottoms are the same. Somebody jump in if I'm wrong. The 85 and 86 351W have oil pan dipsticks going into the side of the pan. They are also rear sump.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
351 and 302 pans are very different :twak
I'm pretty sure the 84 and older pans had the stick in the pan

·
1,739 Posts
Arg! So more than just the deck height. At one point I had an actual link to all the differences. Who knows where that went. :banghead

·
1,739 Posts
Lookie what I found.

http://www.fast351.com/tech/351w.htm

As FireGuy said, the pans are different so ignore my mentioning about the 351W pan. Try his advice on checking out Pre-85 302 pans. Find one at a junk yard or browse for them on-line and see what they say about the dipstick.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I looked at that webpage and that didn't help too much....Just told me what you had already said...that the 351W and the 302 are somewhat different :( I dunno....from what I seen in all the catalogs they never mention if the dip stick goes in or thru the pan so just ordering one is gonna be tuff. I guess if nobody knows 100% sure, I shall just have to find a junk yard and ask themor do alot of looking...Thanx's anyway peeps...:beer

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone know if one of the mustang(whatelse???) dual sump pans would work? Will they clear the crossmember? Any Bronco owners have the oil dipstick up front? I know that some years of the broncos have the dual sump.....gotta find somethin soon...or else it's gonna start snowin and I'll be freezin :wtf

·
1,739 Posts
The site was down a little. Have you tried checking a site such as Summit Racing or maybe a ford parts site to see if they sell them seperately for the mustang and bronco?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Yeah, the site has been down for a few days, and I had some trouble answering your post and PM. The 302 in my 88 Bronco has the dipstick in the block. On my 84 351W, it's in the oil pan. The longblock kit I put in the 84 is from an 85 351W, and it had a hole in the block for the dipstick tube. I had to plug it for the pan to work. I bought the pan from a local salvage yard brand new for under $100. Your best bet is to find a yard that will sell you a new or used pan, but keep in mind that the used pans tend to leak where the tube goes in. Another option is to see if your block has the hole for the dipstick, and see if you can unplug it. That way, you can use a standard oil pan without the dipstick.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My block does have it in the side but this new motor I have for it has it in the front of the block but nothing on the side :( I'm pretty sure that the 351 uses a different pan,unfortunatley. I was just wondering if anyone had a 302 that has the dipstick in the pan...and could tell me what year vechical it came out of so I would know what I was looking for when I go to a junk yard.....But thanx's though ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts