Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crawled up under the bronco 2 days ago and discovered that I have a leak coming from the oil pan. Not really in the mood to replace the gasket right now and don't want to for a while (got other places to blow money into the bronco).
My question is....Is there a different type of oil that I can put in the bronco where it won't leak out as quickly? It doesn't leak out very much at all right now (maybe 5-6 DROPS/day) and I have the HIGH MILEAGE OIL going into it for the last 6-7 months but is there a different oil that might slow it down somewhat? Or do those crazy bottles of stop leak work? I'm always afraid that that would gunk up my engine and so I've never used one.
ANyone had success with anything?

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
I replaced my pan gasket for $33 dollars, snake oil doesn't fix problems, just fix it right the first time and be done with it. Only took me a few hours to replace the gasket. Good luck

Old Yeller

·
Banned
5,475 Posts
Is it coming from here?

I was just about to post the same exact question but found this thread.
Its the part that is a spongey gasket, not where the bolts are around the oil pan. Kinda hard to explain with the lack of experience.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil seems to be starting from about 4 inches forward of the back of the oil pan...then it seems like it's dripping backwards towards the tranny bellhousing and down the front plate on that.
I suppose that it IS POSSIBLE that the oil could be coming from the main seal and dripping along the edge of the pan to where I ASSumed it was coming from along the oil pan.
When you have a main seal leak...does it usually just run straight down or could it run over and down the side of the oil pan (4 inches forward from the back)?

·
Banned
5,475 Posts
How long can you go with a leak on the rear main seal of about 5 or 10 drips a day? Guess im going to have to pull out the haynes.. argh i hate reading..

EDIT- I tighted all the bolts one or two was faintly loose. Mine is the Rear main seal and it seems like the Oil pan gasket is starting to Seap (sp).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Million$dragon said:
The oil seems to be starting from about 4 inches forward of the back of the oil pan...then it seems like it's dripping backwards towards the tranny bellhousing and down the front plate on that.
I suppose that it IS POSSIBLE that the oil could be coming from the main seal and dripping along the edge of the pan to where I ASSumed it was coming from along the oil pan.
When you have a main seal leak...does it usually just run straight down or could it run over and down the side of the oil pan (4 inches forward from the back)?

If it's the rear main seal it usually is just like the picture. I usually runs down the bell housing and drips from there. Are all the oil pan bolts tight? That's what I would check first you could just have a missing bolt or have a couple that are loose.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you don't want to do it right away, just go under there and snug up all of the bolts. My '88 was leaking from the pan-after tightening up some VERY loose bolts, it's stopped from the pan. Now I need to replace the lower intake manifold gasket. GGrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't have my tools with me when I looked...but I'll get under there this weekend and make sure they are all tightened up. Are there certain specs on how tight those need to be? Don't want to over tighten and smash the crap out of the gasket. (I've been known to overtighten things more than once...guess I don't know my own strength! :toothless :histerica )

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The Haynes manual has the specs. It's not very high--something like 12 ft/lbs. Some of mine weren't even finger tight though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Need4racin said:
How long can you go with a leak on the rear main seal of about 5 or 10 drips a day? Guess im going to have to pull out the haynes.. argh i hate reading..

EDIT- I tighted all the bolts one or two was faintly loose. Mine is the Rear main seal and it seems like the Oil pan gasket is starting to Seap (sp).
That adds up to a full teaspoon real quick! J/k. I have a new driveway and don't want to get brown spots all over it. I like em to stay clean and white!:thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Need4racin said:

my rear main has been leaking like that for about 8 months now. as long as you check the oil regularly you should be fine till the spring. i am doing mine next month finally

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which one is worse to replace?
The main seal.....or an oil pan gasket? Never done either one. I'll just put a teaspoon of oil in everyfew days and call it good. :toothless

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey man I know the hassle is changing that pan gasket but its the best thing to do, it will take some time but its a cheap fix and will ensure that truck keeps goin. If you still want to prolong it a bit untill you can get time to fix it I had the same problem with my 88.I drained the oil and undid the pan bolts not fully but enought to allot the pan to drop a little. I cleaned the area good with a good carb cleaner and work rag. make sure its clean and free of oil. then I took some good high temp gasket sealer silicon and ran a bead around the lip of the pan and block I then tightened the pan back up making sure the bolts are snug and tight then I ran my finger around the pan to smooth out the silicon that pushed out and make a little better seal. I later changed the pan gasket when i had a free saturday

1 - 15 of 15 Posts