Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '82 BKO, 351 with a carb.The guy told me that the head gaskit was bad and the rear main seal was bad for $500. I got a chance to look at it this wkend and when I checked the oil it smalls like gas and it looks like gas.It doesn't look like water and oil together. There is no oil in the radator eather. How can gas get in to the oil? Would it be a head gasket or a manifold gasket gone bad? Does anyone have any Ideas?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
gas in oil? way too much fuel getting dumped in cylinders could be one reason, and then there are reasons for THAT happening. could just be set WAY too rich, but i'm not exactly sure.

maybe just that the rings are shot? :shrug

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Gas in oil? Probably leakdown because of worn rings. Do a compression test on the cylinders. Replace the PCV valve and this could allow the pressure to go as intended and keep crankcase-combustin chamber interaction from getting excessive.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
My rear main has leaked for.....well hell....since i bought the truck. I've put about 12,000 on it since buying it a year ago, the leak isn't that critical, i just make sure i check the oil every once in a while.

When i go to put the rebuilt E4OD in i am going to change the rear main. I really don't think thats the reason for your fuel/oil problem. A Head Gasket and Manifold Gasket would cause the antifreeze to show signs of oil and vice versa.

I would look into a poorly tuned carb, see if that thing is working right prior to moving on to anything else. If you bought it for 500 bucks a tune up and some proper maintenance (filters/fluids) probably wouldn't hurt it too much either.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Number one cause of lots of gas in the oil is a leaky fuel pump. When the diaphragm starts to leak, the gas is supposed to go out a weep hole above it..but I have seen too many times where that did not happen and it all went in the crankcase instead.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob I was planning on doing that, changing all the fluids. I just wanted some ideas as to were to look at. IT starts up but doesn't stay running. The guy told me that the choke was messed up but with something this cheap I don't trust what he says until I check everything out myself. When I looked at the rear seal it doesn't look like it's leaking that bad if not at all. It looks more like the oil pan gaskit is leaking a little. I'll be doing a oil change and looking at the choke this wkend.

·
Registered
119 Posts
bmc69 said:
Number one cause of lots of gas in the oil is a leaky fuel pump. When the diaphragm starts to leak, the gas is supposed to go out a weep hole above it..but I have seen too many times where that did not happen and it all went in the crankcase instead.

:stupid

·
Registered
161 Posts
You'll need to find out what the cause of the gas leak is first, or it will keep leaking into the new oil. I'm guessing your 82 is carb'd. Your carb float has a hole in it and dumping gas into the engine, or just maybe a piece of trash on the needle and seat...that's is what has happened on some old Jeeps I had. But, I'm not ASE cert by any means...
-----
The rear seal...as long as you don't mind checking the oil every once in a while and don't park it in your driveway...I wouldn't worry about it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts