Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stepchild88 told me I could find all of my Bronco needs and advice here :)
So this is my 1st post here, and looking for some Advice. A little history about my newly acquired truck! It is a 1988 Bronco 4x4 with 180,000 miles. It is a 2 owner truck, with me be the second owner. I bought the truck for 1200 bucks. The four wheel drive worked for about a week, and then went south. Got a deal on a Jasper unit, and 1100 bucks later I was good to go. I bought the truck to make my 180 mile round trip to and from work in bad weather. We were expecting some snow last night (This was actually one day last week)so I took the truck to work. About half way home last night, the oil pressure gauge started dancing around. I figured the gauge was going bad. About 5 minutes from my house, the gauge showed no pressure!!! I pulled over, checked the oil, no rise in engine temperature. I got back in the truck, and there it was...tap,tap,tap. I shut the truck down.....I then restarted it a few minutes later, and the gauge read normal, no tap. I began to drive home, and the gauge jumped around a bit. If I put the clutch in, the gauge would go to normal again, when I let it out, I would lose oil pressure? As I pulled in front of my house, the gauge showed no pressure again! No noise this time, I shut it down right away?????
Any ideas????? A buddy stated that he thought it was the Oil Pump. He stated that I should also replace the crank and rod bearings????? The motor runs STRONG. I know nothing about motors, so any HELP is appreciated.
Sorry for the long winded post................:)

Sean
Edited to add pictures

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
put a real guage on there first but i am thinking that you are losing oil pressure with the tapping. I would replace everthing to do with the oil pump while you are in there. oil pump, pick up tube, drive rod the whole nine. as for bearings if you know nothing about engines get someone to help you on that. As far as the oil pump it can be done by a novice. just take your time. i did it hell if i can do it anyone can. just a pain in the ass. i have so much sludge in my engine that i can pull the screen and replace it in under an hour now.

ken

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Irish317 said:
stepchild88 told me I could find all of my Bronco needs and advice here

Stepchild is a hosebag. He lied to you :goodfinge

Oil pump, you may not necessarily have to do everything else listed, but if you don't, assume you took a couple years off the life of the motor. It was smart to shut it down right away.

Do like Ken says and get a real gauge on it. And be very careful when running it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
:wowcb:

Second.

That Bronc's so clean it gives me half a chub just lookin' at it... :hump

Oh, sorry...yeah, concerning the loss in oil pressure, I'd venture to guess that the pressure limiting valve in the oil pump is acting up. If that's the case, then it's pretty much an open & shut case of new oil pump.

Now I have to go wipe off my keyboard.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
also try a new oil filter I had one collaps on me and i had no oil pressure
I changed the oil pump than found the bad filter:doh0715:
dont use fram!!!!!! there crap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Graet Info....Thank you!
The truck has been sitting for a week now, since this happened. Been busy as hell at work. Hopefully I will get it done this weekend! Since it has been sitting, it has acquired a pretty good oil leak. The front pumpkin is pretty well covered in fresh oil now :banghead Thanks for the compliments on the truck. It is very clean, but what you can't see in the pictures, is the paint is starting to bubble over both the right and left rear wheels. Hopefully after I get these bugs worked out, this baby will last me a Loooooooooooooong time!!! The motor runs strong as hell, but the transmission is a bit quirky. It has the 5 speed in it, and when I run it through the gears, it can be a bit rough some times!
Thansk again,
Sean

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Two things, figure out where that oil leak is comming from and also change your oil filter. If that has failed or has an extra gasket in it it could cause oil pressure fluxuations likely this is the case. Also which motor do you have in the truck? By the sound of it it's the I-6.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
i've exchanged a few pm's with him, it's the 300.

Irish, as far as your shifts being a little rough, don't worry about it. mine does as well, not a big deal. it's only ground twice since i got mine. change the tranny fluid in it. use atf, i used Mercon V.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,
Thanks again fo rall of the great info! My motor is the I6:rockon and my truck is still sitting:cry I spoke to my neighbor about my problem, and he told me his cousin works on cars, and is fair in price and does good work....So my phone rings a few minutes ago. It is my neighbor, and he asks if I will be home tomorrow. He tells me that he and his cousin are going to swing by to take a look at the Bronco. My neigbor goes on to tell me that his cousin stated that some model broncos need the "MOTOR REMOVED" to get to the oil pan?????????? WTF....Is this right? sure sounds odd to me!!!!
A liitle insight, before I hand my keys over to this guy!
Also what parts should I buy for the Oil Pump?
1) Oil Pump
2)
3)
4)
And has any one heard of this site: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213787
Thanks again,
Sean

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I aint sure about the 6, but the both 8's have clearance issues with the oil pan, and the engine does have to "come up" a bit to get enough room to work on the pump and replace the pan gasket.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
its extremely difficult to do w/ the motor in the truck...it has been done on a 302...but i dunno about the i-6...

once again...replace the filter and the sending unit...then see if you have pressure...the sending units are cheap...

if it is the pump get a new pump and a new pick up and screen assembly..

btw now is a good time for a v8 swap:)

dc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought about the V-8 Swap :) Will a V-8 work with my Man transmission? All of the sudden, I feel like I need to hit the lottery....

Sean

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Irish317 said:
Hey guys,
Thanks again fo rall of the great info! My motor is the I6:rockon and my truck is still sitting:cry I spoke to my neighbor about my problem, and he told me his cousin works on cars, and is fair in price and does good work....So my phone rings a few minutes ago. It is my neighbor, and he asks if I will be home tomorrow. He tells me that he and his cousin are going to swing by to take a look at the Bronco. My neigbor goes on to tell me that his cousin stated that some model broncos need the "MOTOR REMOVED" to get to the oil pan?????????? WTF....Is this right? sure sounds odd to me!!!!
A liitle insight, before I hand my keys over to this guy!
Also what parts should I buy for the Oil Pump?
1) Oil Pump
2)
3)
4)
And has any one heard of this site: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213787
Thanks again,
Sean
if you are going all out i would get a new pick up screen, tube and drive rod. also a new fel pro one piece opil pan gasket and no the engine doesnt have to be removed just lifted up

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
oj its an I-6 not the 302 that the tech write up was done on before...you may still be able to do it by just jacking it up...
im telling you right now no mechanic will do it in the truck..its not that hard to pull...and you can replace worn out stuff like motor mounts while it is out...

dc

·
Registered
105 Posts
Irish317 said:
I thought about the V-8 Swap :) Will a V-8 work with my Man transmission? All of the sudden, I feel like I need to hit the lottery....

Sean

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bronco's

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
oj its an I-6 not the 302 that the tech write up was done on before...you may still be able to do it by just jacking it up...
im telling you right now no mechanic will do it in the truck..its not that hard to pull...and you can replace worn out stuff like motor mounts while it is out...

dc

i understand that it is an inline 6 and i know for a fact that you need to raise the engine to do it. no mechaninc will cause it would be harder for them to charge 800 bucks to do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, let me throw this into the mix.....How much would I expect to pay to have my I6 rebuilt? If it is going to be around 800 bills to swap out a Oil Pump, I might as well save the coin, and do it all at once! I recently found out, that the transmission is a Jasper unit that was put in just over a year ago! If I rebuild the motor, the truck will be "Like new" or close enough. I just put in a new Jasper transfer case, so I should be top shelf, after a fresh rebuild:rofl: Then on to a 6" lift, and some 35" rubber:twotu:
What are your thoughts?????
Thanks again,
Sean

1 - 20 of 27 Posts