Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought this bronco cheap for shits and giggles and cause I'm tired of being held hostage in my house after heavy rains (Miami, Hurricane capitol of the world), its runs pretty good for needing a desperate tuneup, motor doesn't knock or smoke too bad (smokes briefly until it warms up; sat for a long time).

What I did notice is that when it fires up, oil pressure is fine. After running it a few blocks, oil pressure drops real fast to 0. I checked the oil and its in normal range. I know it has an oil leak at the rear main seal, but its a couple drips a day, not enough to leave the motor dry. When the pressure does drop, the motor doesn't rattle or act up, runs fine. I've been reading up on this issue, and people say it could be bearings, or the oil pressure switch, some say the motor is blown, others say its a simple fix.

Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
611 Posts
The sender unit may be defective, the mains may be worn, pump worn, pickup cloged, etc. If you have a mechanic friend, maybe you can borrow a pressure gauge to test the pressure. If the pressure, after the engine is hot still shows the same thing on that gague, you could try stepping up a grade in oil, like from 10W30 to 10W40 or 20W50. Stepping up a grade is only a bandaid but will get you some time to plan on some more serious work. I've been running on 20W50for over a year while I procrastinate on doing a rebuild.

Good luck,

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
use search, its your friend. But do get a mech oil pressure guage, the senders on the stock guage are netorious for being shitty, by bronc had the same problem, unfortuantely the oilpumps are netorious for being shitty too

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont get too excited though if the engene doesnt rattle or tick after it warms up it obviously isnt loosing all oil pressure my guess bad sending unit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i decided to put in some work yesterday, I found out the damn thing hasn't been tuned up in atleast 10 years, the holley aftermarket air element filter has been burned due to back fire. Timing seems to be off, carb needs adjustment, but no knock no tick.

So it pressure switch went to shit, but i'm stilling going to install that mechanical gauge which I bought for $12.99 with the parts and $4.92 in the 1/4 T fitting, an L fitting, and the tread seize.

Next on my to do list:

Tune Up
Adjust or replace carb
re-do brakes (just put in a new power booster, needs complete brakes)

or put it for sale....haven't decided yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts