Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought it was weird that whenever i look at the gauges the oil pressure was always in the same place. so i decided to look at it when i started to go from a stop light. sure enough it dosent move, not at all. its always over "a" in normal. did for just use shitty gauges and only move when the pressure is really high or low? or is mine busted.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Pull the single wire female-style plug off of the oil pressure sensor unit, shove another wire inside of that and then to ground, then go inside the truck and turn the key to where it would be with the engine running. As you do that, watch the needle on the o/p guage at the dash and it should move all the way to the right. (Do this quickly though.) If it doesn't move at all, it's probably the gauge.

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
The factory gauge is decoration only. The oil pressure "sending unit" on these trucks is merely a switch, set to open if oil pressure falls below 6 psig. In that case, the gauge would fall outside the "normal" range. If it's anywhere in the "normal" range, you have more than 6 psig of oil pressure.

Search a little, we've covered that little booger a few times. The only real fix is to add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, preferably a mechanical type (Bourdon tube).
A quick search turned this up, hope it helps.

·
Registered
826 Posts
IIRC you can switch out the stock sending unit and either cut/place a jumper in the instrument cluster, then the stock gauge will swing with the pressure. Steve83 has posted the how-to for this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just had the same problem with mine, plus a knock and click in my heads, switched from a 10w-30 to 20w-50 with a motorcraft filter and hasnt given me a problem yet
i have a 5.8k 351. so i did 5 quarts of oil, 1 bottle of lucas oil treatment. did the trick for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts