Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI , I have a 90 full size Bronco and it is having oil pressure issues. After driving about ten minutes the oil pressure drops to zero and begins to knock. Really weird, I replaces the oil presure sennsor and it went farther but still droped off. If i disconnect the battery for a minute it corrects, for about ten minutes and if im drviving and kill it then restart it will((reset??)but it will eventully drop again.If it was just the gauge i would not be alarmed but because she has 210k on her, well... Let me know if any of yall have any ideas.. oil pump, a screen maybe.... or whatever... Thanks

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well being that you heard some knocking when the gauge read zero it's obvious that the gauge is at the very least reading correctly.

Now you could go through all the trouble of installing a new oil pump & driveshaft, and that might be your only problem, but at 210K, and some knocking I'd say it's ready for a rebuild.

If you do decide to replace the pump & shaft, and you still have oil pressure problems then it would tell you that the bearings are just too worn to get enough pressure. Then it's definately time for a rebuild.

Either way I say just rebuild the damn thing, and be happy you got 210K out of it.

Good Luck! :beer

-Paul

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anytime you hear your engine knocking its a bad sign. If it is in fact knocking after it warms up you will need to go into it and replace at a minimum the crank, main and rod bearings and the oild pump while your there. But seeing as you would be thet far into it you may as well go whole hog and do a good complete rebuild as you are gonna need it soon anyways.
Shane

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re:eek:il pressure

hey thanks for the input but let me make sure that the problem is clear. When I start my truck it appears to be normal, no knocks or valve lash, nothing, and it it quite strong, but then it acts as if something gets clogged the gauge will spaz out a little and drop to zero, thats when i get the knock. As soon as i kill it, then restart it, its fine again for about 5 miles, and then well it reapets the same problem. I guess my question is is there anything in the lower end that can just get clogged/blocked due to misc. scum in my pan?

·
3,419 Posts
It could be something like oil sludge being pulled into the pump, or a clogged pickup tube. At 210k, though, I would be thankful that it has run good as long as it has. Minimum it needs a new pump, driveshaft and pickup, but that requires dropping the pan. But you mind as well avoid pulling a 210k engine apart to put it back together with 210k mile bearings. I would give it the rebuild it needs.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
this is easy. the oil screen is clogged. i had it happen after putting mobil one in a high mile engine. the best fix is dropping the oil pan and cleaning or replacing the screen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya , thanks that is what i thought too i flushed it out and have no problems since abot a week or more.. But thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts