Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have this 1984 Bronco XLT and just noticed that the oil pressure is kind of low. I don't know where the oil pressure gauge should sit because I've been focused on my carburetor problems. Here's the info I have:

First, it's now has 630 miles on a new engine. It's (past) due for it's first oil change since the replacement, so I am doing that on Friday. however, I just noticed today that the oil pressure gauge is reading between the Low line and the low end of the "Normal" section during idle, but when moving, it reads within the normal section. Because it does go into the normal section of the gauge, I'm not too worried about it, but thought I would ask.

Here are the questions:

1. should I be worried?
2. should the first oil help?
3. could this be due to cold weather or old oil?
4. it's got 50W-20 fully synthetic Mobil-1, should I keep the same weight?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
The VERY first thing I would do is to pick up and install a decent mechanical o/pressure gauge so you know exactly what's what. Cuz the dash gauges aren't the best thing in the world to put your faith in..........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hell, if it's the engine, I'm taking it back to the people that JUST put the brand new engine in the darn thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, let me share everything that I've found out. I took my bronco to the shop and my mechanic told me this:

First, the engine oil was too thick. For some reason, they (whoever "they" are) filled the engine with 20W-50 oil (which is a super thick diesel engine oil). Apparently that grade oil is too thick for a stock 351 engine.

Second, the thick oil or something related has blown out my oil pressure sensor. When the engine is cold, it seems to pick up the pressure fine, but when it gets hot, the sensor just decides that it doesn't want to work any longer. The mechanic hooked up some kind of sensor with a different guage to the engine and tested the oil pressure and he said registered ok.

so, I got an oil change and put standard 10W-30 in the engine, as directed by my mechanic, and it started to purr nicely and start up very easily and run much more smoothly. He had one of his cronies do it, so I started driving home, and about 5 miles down the road, the engine began chugging really bad and just not sounding very pleasant. I pulled over and saw that the engine leaked out almost ALL the oil that was put into the engine. I towed it back to the mechanic and he looked at it. Apparently his cronie didn't check for an oil filter gasket before putting on the new oil filter and the oil sprayed out EVERYWHERE! eww. SO, he redid the oil change properly Again and now my truck is running fine.

So, looks like I'll have to invest in a new oil pressure sender. At least I learned what the engine sounds like when the oil pressure really is gone. Chalk one up for experience I guess. I asked the mechanic if there should be any lasting damages to the engine due to what happened and he said no, because I stopped when I noticed the problem. So, thank you for your concerns and thank goodness I don't have to buy a new engine!

So, all is good, he checked my engine and said it's fine, so no shopping around for another new engine in my future... at least not yet.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Save your reciepts-----I've an eerie feeling that you may need them in small claims court some day soon..............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts