Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bronco like 9 months ago. the oil pressure gauge would always read in the middle of the word normal. Recently I put some motor flush in the crank case, and then got my oil changed. After the oil was changed the needle stays at the very low side of the word NORMAL on the gauge. Usually right by or below the N. It stays this way regardless of the engine rpms. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, is this still within the safe oil pressure range?

·
Super Moderator
14,720 Posts
How is your rig running otherwise, any noticeable noises? Most of the guys here will tell you the stock gauges are pretty much useless, I think there are a few people here whose gauges read 0 oil pressure but the are still running fine. That being said, it could be a bad oil pump, or it could just be clogged. Only one way to find that out, and that's to pull the pan..not fun. good luck man.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually it runs like a dream. No noises or noticable loss of power. I used to own german sports cars, and as such I am used to gauge watching. The gauge does fluctuate a little bit. I am just worried that I am starving the engine. Pulling the pan sounds like it isnt too much fun. I see you live in JAX. Not too far from me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Engine flushes suck unless your gonna pull the pan. I decided to run one in mine so I can get as much of the crap in the pan and off the engine. I needed to pull the pan anyways. Buy a mechanical guage and check the pressure.

Acctually I just remembered that in (I think) 1987 they used one of those idiot guages that dont measure actual pressure. They always show the same pressure as long as you have above 6psi.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dontthink mine (1994) is an idiot gauge because it used to read higher pre-engine flush. I guess I am going to have to pullt he pan and clean the screen. Is that a long process..pulling the pan I mean.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Frmo what ive read, its from 86 and on.

The gauge is not a 'full sweep' gauge. It is an 'on/off' sender that triggers the gauge to read at 0 when your pressure drops below 6psi. There is a 6ohm resistor somewhere inline to the gauge (either under the hood, or behind the dash depending on year) that helps fool the gauge.
My gauge reads 0psi all the time now, but i know i have good pressure, cause i installed an aftermarket gauge from Autometer.:D

There is a possibility that your screen is plugged, but i assure you, it is a MAJOR PITA to check that. What i would do first is change the oil and filter (if you havent already since the flush). Not Fram! Then id try getting a new sending unit. IIRC, they are pretty cheap. Then i would go out and get a full sweep gauge and install it. Then, if your pressure still reads low, you can pull the pan. But i assure you, you do NOT want to do that if you dont have to!:eek:

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
When I did my rebuild, the motor in the truck had low readings. As soon as I got the old motor out, I started tearing it apart, and when I got the valve covers off, you wouldn't believe how nasty it was. Swear to the big guy that it looked like gravel in there. I concluded that one of these big chunks of carbon :)shrug ) was clogging the passages. However, now that I have the new motor in, the situation is the same. Some days the readings are good, and some days they are low. Either way, don't trust the gauge. If you think it has issues, pop the valve covers off and take a look. If you see oil on your rocker arms, then you are getting plenty of pressure.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you read the wanings on the back of most engine flush product you will find that they recommend pulling the pan after using the product. What happens is that the flush cleans everything out and all the junk clogs the pickup screen. Pull the pan. If you never pulled a pan before find someone who has b/c the front and rear seals can be troublesome. Have fun! (buy lots of carb/brake cleaner)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts