Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge because of the wonderful factory gauge is misleading me. Well at first I thought everything was good, on cold startup reading about 50 psi. Well after driving about 10 to 15 miles and getting the truck nice and warm the pressure will stay at about 20 psi, but as soon as I come to a stop it will drop to around 5-10 psi, but no knocks or rattles that I can hear. The truck has a fresh oil change with 10w40. I have searched a lot over the past few days and I've gathered the following ideas, bad pump, clogged screen, I know this post is probably rather redundent but I am in a position where I cant go with the truck for more than 3 days or so. So please anyone who can help me out with insight please feel free to, or should I start praying to the Bronco god.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
jack the motor up, pull the pan , pull the pump and screen , then toss old pump in trash, buy new one, install new, reinstall oil pan, not hard, just time consumeing, wont take 3 days, maybe a couple hours and lots of rags
and dats dat

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
well it is not a bad job to do the oil pump just time consuming as usual. i recently did this thnaksgiving weekend. i look at it this way 50 bucks will get all new stuff for you, pump, drive rod, tube and screen. I had to remove the upper intake to gain enouh clearance to remove the pan but it was all good afterwards. here is a little break down.

remove upper intake, raise motor about 5-6 inches, maybe less. remove exhaust, drain oil, remove pan bolts, drop pan. reach in there and remove pump and screen, pull pan out clean it up, get a one piece oil pan gasket. and get the gasket set in and use clamps to let the gasket set to the oil pan with RTV. I let mine sit for a day. then go out there and re-install i found the easiest way to do this was get the pump on first. make sure you get the drive rod in place on the block then get it in the pump, an extra set of eyes will help out here. once that is in place you can put your tube in and go from there. the biggest pain is that the pan has to go in first with the pump sitting inside the pan cause the pan will not go over the pump. other than that it is relatively easy. good luck

ken

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
How many miles on the motor? Does it smoke...is it using oil?

A new oil pump could be just a short term fix. Looking for another motor (although more expensive) could be a better proposition. A complete motor can be swapped in within a weekend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
k1w1t1m said:
How many miles on the motor? Does it smoke...is it using oil?

A new oil pump could be just a short term fix. Looking for another motor (although more expensive) could be a better proposition. A complete motor can be swapped in within a weekend.
Worn bearings can cause low oil preasure. I put a high volume oil pump in a 351 with low oil preasure and it raised the pressure but not much. When I pulled the cam out after the bearing fell out. They were completely worn out. If you do change the pump check the bearings on the bottem end to see if it is worth it. They may be in poor condition.:beer

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
I would lead to bearings as the cause of the low pressure. Slap on a high pressure pump and it will pick it up some if you really don't want to do a bearning change. I just did anonther Rod/Main set on my truck in a day, Just pick the motor up as high as it goes, the v8 is eaiser then the inline as there is less mains and the mains are always the PITA to get out. I also slapped a HV pump instead of pressuer as Volume seems more inportant than press to me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts