Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oil pressure gauge is pegged all the way to the left when i'm idling and reads normal when i'm on the gas. i just replaced the sender, is this a normal occurence with these trucks? i'm thinking of just putting in a psi gauge before i start freaking out

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
No I wouldn't think so unless there's an internal problem with the engine, idiot dash gauges aren't always reliable so a mechanical guage would suite you better I think and new parts can be fubar out of the box..

Make sure the wire lead to the oil pressure sending unit has correct voltage level to the gauge, if not false reading maybe ...?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
170 Posts
You only need a couple pounds for every so many rpms.At idle little oil pressure is fine as long as it climbs when you put load on it.Use thicker oil or ad some lucas if it will help calm your nerves.

·
Registered
710 Posts
you could have a partially clogged pickup screen as well. That happens pretty often on older vehicles. The best way to clean it is to pull the pan (if that is what's wrong). Although I have read about a nifty trick of draining out your oil, pouring solvent down your dipstick tube so it doesn't get into the engine bearings and such, then let it sit for a while and drain/change oil. sounds feasible and you won't be getting the solvent into the bearings by pouring it into your valve cover.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Talking off oil pans isn't easy with some of these BKO's, you might need to lift the engine off the motor mounts a bit to clear the pan etc. BUT Sea Foam in the crankcase might help and it's a lot easier to do then pulling an oil pan if that's what you need doing.....

How many actual miles on the engine, if they're high then switch to something like 20W-50 regular oil, nothing fancy or synthetic and you'll get better comprerssion and oil pressure if there is excessive engine parts wear......

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm going through something similar. With a cold engine, the oil pressure would be fine. After the oil got hot and thickened to it's higher viscosity, the oil pressure at idle would dump.

I installed a mechanical gauge to make sure and also sistered in the factory sender. According to both the above symptoms are true.

Today, I changed out the oil pickup tube / strainer and the oil pump. No change at all. same symptoms.

To my mind, this means that the thinner viscosity when the engine is cold will flow well enough but when hot and the oil is thicker, the oil passages are too narrow from sludge, varnish, other crap to let it flow properly. If the problem was excessive bearing wear, the oil pressure should be worse at start up then improve some as the oil thickens.

The plan right now is to run some engine flush to see if I can't clear out those passages a bit. It worked on my Jeep Cherokee....:popc1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts