Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the other threads related to this, but none had my specific question/issue.

I have a 94 351w, E4OD..about 150,000 miles.

The other day someone rear ended me, not hard but enough to bend my bumper down slightly. Not sure if it's related, but ever since then my Oil gauge has read 0. If my headlights are on, I can actually see a little light behind the gauge itself, if that make sense.

Now, I assumed instantly my gauge was broken because my truck was driving FINE at high speeds and low speeds. I have driven it like that for a few days. I am due for an oil change.

I also noticed that when it's dark out, my coolant temp reader is very dim, bright so that I can see it. Is this coincidence or should I beat up the guy who ran into me? (we work together lol)

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
I checked the other threads related to this, but none had my specific question/issue.

The other day someone rear ended me, not hard but enough to bend my bumper down slightly. Not sure if it's related, but ever since then my Oil gauge has read 0. If my headlights are on, I can actually see a little light behind the gauge itself, if that make sense.

Now, I assumed instantly my gauge was broken because my truck was driving FINE at high speeds and low speeds. I have driven it like that for a few days. I am due for an oil change.

I also noticed that when it's dark out, my coolant temp reader is very dim, bright so that I can see it. Is this coincidence or should I beat up the guy who ran into me? (we work together lol)
Probably knocked something loose. Ground out the oil pressure gauge at the sender and see if it does anything.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also make sure no wiring around the bumper got pinched, cut, or chaffed.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I'm currently having the same issue with my bronco. I'm also not sure why but it seems like my gauge is out of place and I am also seeing the little light behind the gauge when my headlights are on. It's also showing that my oil pressure is low. Very confused on what the issue could be...

Have you figured out the issue Outlaw?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The plastic faces of the instrument cluster can slip downward (and probably upward if you roll you vehicle). Pull the cluster, remove the clear plastic and fix it. If you have an automatic he hardest part will be removing the black bezel plastic.

I haven't fixed mine yet but I'll probably either find a hidden place where I can put a tiny screw through it into the plastic behind or use an adhesive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The plastic faces of the instrument cluster can slip downward (and probably upward if you roll you vehicle). Pull the cluster, remove the clear plastic and fix it. If you have an automatic he hardest part will be removing the black bezel plastic.

I haven't fixed mine yet but I'll probably either find a hidden place where I can put a tiny screw through it into the plastic behind or use an adhesive.
I have attempted to take off the instrument cluster before but I wasn't sure how to remove the cluster without breaking the white cable thats attached to it. I'm assuming thats the speedometer cable. It just doesn't seem to want to pull apart.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have attempted to take off the instrument cluster before but I wasn't sure how to remove the cluster without breaking the white cable thats attached to it. I'm assuming thats the speedometer cable. It just doesn't seem to want to pull apart.
If you've got a 92+ you don't have a mechanical speedometer. If you have an automatic that's the cable for the lever position indicator. On the column end there's a plastic piece and a loop. IIRC it's a 5.5mm (Ford seems to like that size for small things) to remove the plastic piece then you unhook the loop or vise-versa.

Search, one of the many instrument cluster related threads probably covers it in detail.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
If you've got a 92+ you don't have a mechanical speedometer. If you have an automatic that's the cable for the lever position indicator. On the column end there's a plastic piece and a loop. IIRC it's a 5.5mm (Ford seems to like that size for small things) to remove the plastic piece then you unhook the loop or vise-versa.
What Does IIRC stand for- ??-

·
Registered
4,871 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts

Search, one of the many instrument cluster related threads probably covers it in detail.
Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im new to this forum but have been reading info on it for a couple years now i went thru this oil pressure headache about a year ago and heres my advice to you. If your truck is reading 0 oil pressure and doesnt sound like your engine is full of hammers then your Guage is wrong. And 95% percent on the the guage that is reading oil pressure isnt accurate to begin with. The only way tp really get an accurate oil pressure reading is with a mechanical guage. However if you want to replace the oil pressure sending unit its a 5 dollar part and take 2 min to change. Although when i did that on my bronco it read a different oil pressure reading everyday. My advice to you is dont worry about it oil pumps are mechanical and very rarely fail. Also with the dash lights looking different after the accident, my father is the original owner of a 92 bronco and has put 275xxx miles on it wrecked it a couple times and had an issue with a short a couple yeara ago with similar but more severe symptoms. He searched and searched for the source and found it to be the wiring for his trailer lights by his hitch so maybe you could have something similar going on. Hope i could help you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts