Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that most all 351M/400's have low oil pressure (mine is usually below the normal range on the indicator). Is there any way to increase oil pressure or oil flow? I was thinking about lucas oil stabilizer, but have read that it is garbage. Would using a thicker (20W-50?) oil increase pressure and lubricate the engine better? Are there any high volume oil pumps available? I want my engine to last, and the low oil pressure is starting to worry me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
there is no engine that has low oil pressure normally. Check the sending unit and put a mechanical guage on it to see what the oil pressure is. anything over 20-25 is good in my book

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a mechanical gauge, but is is not hooked up. Do I just pull the wire from the factory gauge and put it on the mechanical?

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
is it an electrical or mechanical guage. if it is mechanical then you need to takle the sending unit out and put the tubing in where the sending unit is

·
Registered
647 Posts
The only way to increase the output of the stock oil pump is to pull the pan off and install a Moroso Spring kit inside the pump. I have one in the shop but totally forgot about it on my last rebuild.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a High volume oil pump for ~$35 on jegs or summit racing. Would the high volume pump raise oil pressure?

BTW, my extra gauge is mechanical, I'll be hooking it up in the next week or two, and hopefully it shows a decent oil pressure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i've heard that the stock oil pressure gauge simply tells you if you have pressure or not. because i have a 302 and the gauge is always around the "no" of normal and i've been told its fine

·
Registered
647 Posts
BTW oil pumps come in a few forms: standard volume and pressure, standard volume high pressure, high volume standard pressure. But if you didn't have hardly any oil pressure usually lifters and such start to click and engine temps go up.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
roach57 said:
The only way to increase the output of the stock oil pump is to pull the pan off and install a Moroso Spring kit inside the pump. I have one in the shop but totally forgot about it on my last rebuild.
That won't help any with an engine that is running low oil pressure due to wear..the spring kit only increases the relief pressure limit on the pump; it can do nothing to increase flow volume. In a situation where the oil pressure is low, the pump would never relieve anyway if the volume absorbed by the engine was so high that the pressure is staying low.

Only a high-volume pump will increase the indicted oil pressure if the cause of low oil pressure is engine bearing wear (which is always the case on the 351m and 400 due to the way the oil is routed to the mains via the cam journals).

10 psi at hot idle and 25-30 psi running down the road is just fine for these engines...and very typical for one with some miles on it, especially with the stock volume pump.

BTW..Lucas oil stabilizer is great stuff for eeaking a few thousand more miles out of an otherwise slap tired out engine..

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
santacruzbronco said:
i've heard that the stock oil pressure gauge simply tells you if you have pressure or not. because i have a 302 and the gauge is always around the "no" of normal and i've been told its fine

this is only on 1987-and up. 1986 and older had a real oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the same problem. I changed the stock pump to a high volume, low pressure one. While I had the pan off I also changed main and rod bearings. It helped the oil pressure but still has a knock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts