Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when i come to a stop my oil psi drops and comes up instintly. thanks for eny help.

4 month old oil pump and screen
89 with a 5.0 aod tranny
245000 milse on motor is this normal with that amount of miles

·
Registered
783 Posts
What you have is worn rod,main,and cam bearings.No matter what kinda oil pump you put in your oil pressure is gonna drop off like that especially at operating temp.Onlt resolution will be a bearing overhaul,or a complete overhaul.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
how much does it drop? to zero? if it drops to like 25 or so till you hit the gas that is normal. well mine does that. as long as it doesnt get to zerp you should be fine

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
After you've;

1.) put on a mechanical gauge (cheap and easy) and

2.) Seafoamed the thing and changed the oil several times, you should

think about a thicker oil to protect what little bearing material you have left, until you can afford a replacement engine.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just check your oil levels. I had a small oil leak from the back of the pan for awhile and I would notice that if I didnt add oil for awhile my gauge would show the psi drop rapidly under hard braking when the oil got too low. My reasoning for this is because its a rear sump/pickup so when the oil is too low and youre braking hard it flows to the front of the pan so the pickup is unable to suck any oil and when the truck comes to a complete stop the oil naturally flows back to the rear of the pan allowing the pickup to suck oil. I would simply add more oil and that fluctuation should stop.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
i say its cus the motor bearings are worn. but i would put a good oil pressure gauge in and see if its any different. i had an old thunderchicken with the 2.3 in it and it didnt have any oil pressure, zero on the gauge. i drove it like that for over a year. it had over 300000 on it.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
i say its cus the motor bearings are worn. but i would put a good oil pressure gauge in and see if its any different. i had an old thunderchicken with the 2.3 in it and it didnt have any oil pressure, zero on the gauge. i drove it like that for over a year. it had over 300000 on it.
the gauge[the factory one in the cluster], is just a dummy light or switch. if it reads over xx PSI it shows some where in the normal. That being said, I doubt you drove it for a year with no oil pressure. more likely a crapped out sending unit.

I just re-sealed my 302. and put a new oil pan and pump in it. the old pump ran 25-28psi at idle [warm]. my newly installed pump puts approximately 20-21psi at idle [warm]. and i'm kinda pissed. anything off of idle from about 1200rpm and up gives me over 40-45psi. guess i'll be smart next time and buy from FORD not aftermarket.... :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
6 YEAR old thread people.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,443 Posts
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
way to update the thread in a timely manner there batman :goodfinge