Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they say the bronco needs a new oil pump!!! is that something we can do on our own? how much could this cost me?
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
Yes it is, but it is an all day job and a real PITA. I think I was quoted 6 hours labour, or something like that and did it myself. It's one of those things, if you have the disposable income let someone else do it, and all the cursing that goes with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
If you've got access to the tools. Are you doing your work in the base hobby shop? Looked like it from a few of the pics. If so they should have all the tools you need (most bases are very well equipped, I miss the days when I had a dependent ID and could get a lift for $2 an hour). Royal pain in the ass, but you can do it if you're patient and careful.
 

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
Joined
·
801 Posts
yea a shop will ass rape you on a oil pump on a bronc, simply casue they belive the motor must be lifted up or out because of the cross member under the pan, i think i got a quote for like 1200 to do it causr the time it takes, i suggest doing it your self it is as walt said a PITA. but in the end you r wallet or in your case a purse wont be empty. undo motor mounts and lift motor about 4 inches and you should be able to get the pan off, you may need to take off you intake though
 

·
Joisey don't smell funny
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
I'm with gack...who's "they" and how did "they" come to the conclusion you need a pump. What problem are you having and what are the symptoms?
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
You don't "have" to remove the pan either, but then you are working blind so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THEY are the hsop that helped with the lift. no its not on base im not anywhere near a base. THEY say it lost oil pressure and thats why it died and would only start up again for a sec or two. i have no disposible income as it sits now im thinking about a military grant. i dont want to do all this and then when corey gets here not have money for him to spend. plus we still have our monthly bills. THIS Fn SUCKS!!!! i dont know what to do..im loosing more and more hope by the minute. i cant get this done no way in hell! i have no knowledge i have no way to get her up here to me from st. pete. im screwed
 

·
Joisey don't smell funny
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Sorry, wish I could help. Now, just color me humbled.:doh0715:
 

·
Repo'd
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
armywifey4life said:
THEY are the hsop that helped with the lift. no its not on base im not anywhere near a base. THEY say it lost oil pressure and thats why it died and would only start up again for a sec or two. i have no disposible income as it sits now im thinking about a military grant. i dont want to do all this and then when corey gets here not have money for him to spend. plus we still have our monthly bills. THIS Fn SUCKS!!!! i dont know what to do..im loosing more and more hope by the minute. i cant get this done no way in hell! i have no knowledge i have no way to get her up here to me from st. pete. im screwed

Oh hell no don't borrow money to have a shop do it. It is kind of hard but
you can do it. A pump will cost you about $40, the seal cost about $12.
It sounds a lot worse than it is but you can do it in a day by your self.
If you need help, get on here and ask. But if you can skip a lunch or two to save the cash to do it. I am sure we would all be willing to lend a typing finger to ya.

Baby steps, Drain the oil, take off the tranny mount and engine mount bolts, take off the Fan and fan shroud, get a jack and probally a 6x6 block, 4x4 if it aint lifted. Lift the engineand tranny
either in front of or behind the oil pan. Take the pan bolts off and drop the pan down.
Take the bolts off the oil pump and maybe the pick up tube and let them drop into the pan if you cant pull them out. Pull the pan forward towards the radiator untill you are done cursing bleeding and jacking the motor up higher and higher. At this point the task is almost over.
Once the engine is high enough you can pull the pump and pick up out and eventually the oil pan.
But you will probally find that you know more curse word than you thought before this happens.

It is about the same getting it back in too. but you can put the pick up and the pump together before you put them into the pan so you have 2 less bolts to drop.

You can do it,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
colinlesser said:
yea a shop will ass rape you on a oil pump on a bronc, simply casue they belive the motor must be lifted up or out because of the cross member under the pan, i
what do you mean believe? it HAS to be lifted up. you can unbolt the pan and drop it, but you do NOT have enough room to drop the pump with the engine in its mounts.
 

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
Joined
·
801 Posts
all you have to do is raise the engine about 4 inches, jack up the engine with a floor jack after undoing the mounts and put so wood blocks under the motor mounts, easy as pie
 

·
Repo'd
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
colinlesser said:
all you have to do is raise the engine about 4 inches, jack up the engine with a floor jack after undoing the mounts and put so wood blocks under the motor mounts, easy as pie

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

OK, Maybe on an 86 but I doubt it. I lifted mine all the way to the fire wall
and I have a 3 inch body lift........

Anyway I edited my post before with some vague directions so if you need any more help let us know
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
BurnedB said:
what do you mean believe? it HAS to be lifted up. you can unbolt the pan and drop it, but you do NOT have enough room to drop the pump with the engine in its mounts.
Uhm, yes you do. It's tight, but there is enough room.
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,154 Posts
waltman said:
Uhm, yes you do. It's tight, but there is enough room.

no you dont the engien hAS to be liftied. i had to take the upper intake off of mine to get room for it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im not going to do it myself..i just need to get her from where she is to where the work is going to get done. thats the issue now:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
DUUUUHHHHH! I'm an idiot. Yes, it's coming back to me now. imlikeojnow, reminded me of when he did it. I remember comenting on how he got the pan out and I couldn't. I just couldn't get the height. But I did have to raise the motor as much as I could so the oil pump could clear the oil pan.

I really gotta start thinking before I open my mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
keeps getting worse and worse

i need to find a way to get this bronco to orlando come hell or high water. the mechanic now says i have a bad engine although there is "no visible damage to the outside of the block when you turn it over you can tell its about to burst and pop. " thats a direct quote! my husband is not only angry (not at me) but he doesent believe him. this this guy told me it would cost me 3000 easy for a new engine and install.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top