Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thing that has not worked since I bought tis truck last month was the oil pressure gauge. Although this is the 351, I remember 1 of my 5.0's having the same problem and it was just the oil pressure valve on the side of the block. Does this problem ring a bell?
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,136 Posts
Replace the sending unit with a mechanical oil pressure guage it goes into the same place that your stock sending unit goes, cheap easy to install and will give you exact pressure.

Ken
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
umm yes? Not quite sure what the question is. Yes, the oil gauge sending unit is on the drivers side of the block, about 1-2" foward of the oil filter. The oil pressure gauge is just an "idiot light" in our year models, though. As long as the sending unit has any pressure, the gauge will read "normal".. if you have 10lbs it reads the same as if you have 60lbs. :wacko. It's always a good idea to install an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge. I installed one, used a t-fitting, and kept the factory gauge functional, too. :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Ogeechee 4x4 said:
umm yes? Not quite sure what the question is. Yes, the oil gauge sending unit is on the drivers side of the block, about 1-2" foward of the oil filter. The oil pressure gauge is just an "idiot light" in our year models, though. As long as the sending unit has any pressure, the gauge will read "normal".. if you have 10lbs it reads the same as if you have 60lbs. :wacko. It's always a good idea to install an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge. I installed one, used a t-fitting, and kept the factory gauge functional, too. :thumbup
Could you please tell me where you got your T fitting or post a picture as I have yet to be able to get a T to fit ( It always hits the damed oil filter shit).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it's the same problem as the 5.0's have. Ken, Do you have a part number of the mechanical sending unit I should swap out to by chance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
sloloco said:
So it's the same problem as the 5.0's have. Ken, Do you have a part number of the mechanical sending unit I should swap out to by chance?
There is no electrical sending unit to a Mechanical gauge, Just go anywhere really ( Autozone or along those lines) and buy a mechanical guage and it will come with all the fittings to hook it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
if you don't care about the factory gauge working is their any downfault to just leaving it disconnected and hooking up the new mech. gauge? I have a 96 5.8 with OBD-II if it matters? I have searched and after allot of reading I found answers to most of my questions but these two still remained unanswered. the reason i don't care about the stock gauges is because i want to fab my new mechanical gauges in the stock location as soon as i get all the parts i need.
thanks
jason
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
bronco lover said:
Could you please tell me where you got your T fitting or post a picture as I have yet to be able to get a T to fit ( It always hits the damed oil filter shit).
i got it from Lowes... and ended up with the "t" going up and down, instead of side to side. I'll try to get a picture when i get home this afternoon....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,684 Posts
Add another wrap or two of teflon tape, and don't turn it so far. There's only maybe 50 or so psi to contain, you don't have to crank it down all the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I copied this from SIXlitre:
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/170428/fullsize/IMG_0056.JPG

My engine did not have the "log" coming out of the block so I just came out of the block with a short pipe>tee and ran a new stock oil sending unit ($18) on top and the new mechanical gauge off of the end like SIXLitre. I used teflon "putty" that came in a tube and have not had any leaks yet. Both gauges are functional.
FYI - There is a special socket designed to remove the stock oil pressure sending unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Steve83 said:
...which is unnecessary. A regular adjustable or open-end wrench will work fine. Even channel-locks or vise-grips.
My sending unit was screwed into the block and it was difficult to get the wrench around the frame, water hose, oil filter, etc. and loosen it up. The socket, which I did not have, would have made a fairly easy job even easier.:thumbup
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
bronco lover said:
Could you please tell me where you got your T fitting or post a picture as I have yet to be able to get a T to fit ( It always hits the damed oil filter shit).
Turn the "T" another way :thumbup

 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top