Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. Has anyone heard about this modification you can do to a 400 to help with the oiling problems? I saw a kit that has a t-fitting that goes into the motor behind the intake that allows you to still use your sending unit but also run a line from there to the D/S of the engine down by the oil filter. It is supposed to direct oil to the normally oil-starved bearings in the back of the engine to help it live longer. I was thinking of doing this myself w/some braided line and a b rass fitting but don't want to mess up my motor.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I've heard of it. Even wanted to do it at one time. I think the oil starvation problem is over rated. I've seen it mentioned as "Only useful on high-performance engines."

I dont think I've ever seen a high performance 335 series. I know the term "High performance," is pretty subjective, though.

I wound up giving up on the idea when I started rounding out the internally wrenching allen plugs that I needed to get out to run the lines.

The first 400 in my Bronco lasted a very long time. About 20 years and more than a few thousand miles.

Once considering this, I decided it wasnt worth the effort. If you have the parts lying around, though...

If you really want to go through with it, it'd be GREAT to see a write up and pictures. You'd probably be the only guy on the whole Internet whod have those pictures around.

Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,607 Posts
I rebuilt the 400 in my 1978 F150 back in 1990. It had just over 100K miles on it. I drove it for another 8 years before selling it. 13 years and 3 owners later that same truck, with the same rebuilt engine, is still going strong. I see very little need for this oiling modification.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
To the OP:

http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/Oiling+tech

The problems of the 351C lubrication system are grossly over-stated. They are normally the result of human made issues, not due to any inherent engineering issues....snip...Up to 6200 rpm the stock system is just fine
^^^I know that says 'C' but it's applicable.

I dont think I've ever seen a high performance 335 series. I know the term "High performance," is pretty subjective, though.
Jon Kaase won the engine masters build 3 years straight with a 400 (not a 460) that was pretty high performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts