Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not think this has been brought up so I will take a stab at it, but if it has then sorry.

For us peeps who have the quad shock set up, up front.
I have read that a lot of people think the extra shock makes the ride worse.
Well that makes sense to me because if you buy a regular shock they are normally very stiff and having two stiffy's (HEHE) up front cant be good.

My question, If you only go with a single shock up front after you lift it, what shock should be the one you keep?
The front-front one, or the front-rear one that mounts to the radius arm?

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dave, Any specific reason?
I thought it may have been the front front one because it is longer, but I didnt know, which led me to ask here.

I am sure Dave will know, can you please elaborate for me, I would certainly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Those of us with singles are mounted to the rear of the coil. The suspension geometry is no different between the single and dual shock models. The rear is the primary shock.

Hey my middle name is Dave.:goodfinge

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually that does answer my question.
Thank you M-DAVE-A.

:thumbup

·
Raf is my Idol!!
1,364 Posts
mda said:
Those of us with singles are mounted to the rear of the coil. The suspension geometry is no different between the single and dual shock models. The rear is the primary shock.

Hey my middle name is Dave.:goodfinge

Sounds good to me. I really have no idea, I just see the most people with just the rear one! :toothless

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you again (both of you)

·
Registered
112 Posts
How much of a 'better ride' would only using the single shock give?

Wouldnt putting 2x the load on the shocks be a bad thing? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
The shocks have nothing to do with the load capability, but they do have to do with load control. I just removed the front shocks on mine, keeping the front rears. As most of you know, I have rancho 5000s, which suck for a DD to begin with. Just removing the front shocks have made a big improvement in the quality of the ride - I don't need my kidney belt anymore. Personally, unless you plan on blasting thru the desert often, there's really no reason to have quad shocks in front

·
Registered
9 Posts
good info, i was about to replace mine and i guess i only need half of the front now, thanks guys for saving me some cash, more beer for tonight

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeh, I bought RSX's for mine and only bought the ones behind the coils since they are the primary. I did not figure I needed dual shocks. With a snowplow or something four might really be necessary to control that load. Mine is just an offroad beater anyway.

DK

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i went from dual RS-5000s to single RSXs when i lifted and didn't notice much of a difference in stiffness.:shrug

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tested the single shock vs. duals last month when I replaced all the shocks on the wife's Bronco . We didn't feel a noticable difference one way or another. I went ahead and left the duals on because the wife thought it looked better.
I opted for the ProComp ES9000's. Summit Racing has a buy 3, get 1 for free deal going. Came out with all 6 and boots for less than $200.

Oh, and I also recommend the rear shock if you go for the single set up.

B

·
0 Posts
I too found the dampening from dual shocks to be too stiff. I moved my rear axel shocks to the front of the front axel. The shcok made for the rear seemed to be about 2/3 to 3/4 less stiff than the two together. I tried them in the back of the front and they where too long and too soft. I've got them front of the front axel now, just right, better ride and easier travel. I thought that running just one shock made for a dual application was too soft in the dampening department when I tried that. I am running 37"MT/R's so there is more weight there to handle.

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
379 Posts
@B-MAXX Wow, you brought back a post from the crypt. What size lift are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
379 Posts
What type (hydro or gas) should we run on the front axle rear shock if only running one?
For a 6" lift you can start with this one. I used this for about a rear then added a Bilstein 5125 up front in the auxiliary position (forward front shock).
I felt the single shock was a little too soft and my girl complained she thought it felt unsafe. It wasn't unsafe at all but did
have some bounce to it.
She was not used to riding in a lifted truck. I added another shock for the quad set up and she is much happier. It rides great.

Bilstein 25-177473 5165 shock.
  • Bilstein (25-177473) 5165 Series shock; 8.76″ travel
  • Collapsed length (inches): 13.25
  • Extended length (inches): 22.01
  • Travel (inches): 8.76
  • Upper mount: Stem
  • Lower mount: Eye 16mm (5/8 inch)
  • Valve Rating: 366/240
The Bilstein 5165 Remote Reservoir Universal Fit family of shocks are made specifically for custom vehicle builders that need a custom length shock for their project vehicles. This part has 8.76″ of travel, measuring in at 22.01″ expanded and 13.25″ compressed with a 366/240 valve rating. The gas pressurized monotube design with a remote reservoir allow it to run cooler, provide greater suspension travel, and operate more efficiently to help prolong its life. A 46mm digressive piston with a self-adjusting valve adjusts instantly and automatically to varying road conditions providing superior handling and performance across all types of terrain. This shock is intended for custom applications. Bilstein does not market this product for OEM applications and therefore it is the customer’s responsibility for determining the suitability of this product. Sold individually with a reservoir, reservoir mounting kit, black bushings, and installation hardware.

This is the Auxiliary shock I used FOR QUAD SHOCKS .
Bilstein 33-230351 5125 shock.
  • Bilstein (33-230351) 5125 Series shock absorber
  • Collapsed length (inches): 16.13
  • Extended length (inches): 26.38
  • Travel (inches): 10.25
  • Upper mount: Stem
  • Lower mount: Eye 16mm (5/8 inch)
  • Valve Rating: 255/70
Again this is fr a 6" lift running quad shocks or a SINGLE SHOCK with just the 5165.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,516 Posts
Holy crap. I thought @godless came back from the dead for a minute.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts