Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, thanks to the man Keith he was able to find me a Dana 44 HD (leaf sprung).
(we) are still collecting the rest of the parts now.
I still need to get:
Overhaul kit from JBG (includes all the bearings, seals, u-joints, etc.)
Pinion flange, nut, washer. from JBG
Spindle bearings
4.88 Ring & Pinion (Precision gear from JBG)
Ball joints--JBG
Brakes, rotors, etc.
Maybe, an ARB locker if the money situation is good.
Shocks
and a few other misc parts.

We plan on getting it started in early 2004.

Check out my autosig for pics.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
looks great, make sure when you do it you do a writeup so i know how to do it when the time comes, although ill be doin it with a 60! :goodfinge :goodfinge

wes

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have other plans for the 8.8.
I have no need for a 10.25 at the moment, and I am barely going to be scraping by doing just the front for now.

A 60 was a little overboard for me as well.

For my style, I am going 37's and d44 HD, and the 8.8 but reinforcing the 8.8 somehow when i figure out what i am going to do.
Just for the fun of it.
I am NOT a throttle junky and prefer to take my time out in the sweet wilderness getting through my obstacles. i have nothing to prove to anyone so I should be fine until i can afford more crap in the future, or if my "style" upgrades to a lil something more hardcore.

·
Lurker
617 Posts
Cool, I wasn't doggin' ya, just wondering cause the 1 ton rears are so cheap around here.

I know you have already decided, but have you thought about the Ford9" Plenty of upgrades for it. It can be built to one-ton strength.

Back to your 44. What are your plans for steering?

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About the 9"
I gotsa 96, so i am kinda limited on rear axles because of the VSS crap, and the exciter ring.
I have to have it for all the ecm crap, shift points, speedo, etc.
The 10.25 is pretty much a straight swap, but its just the cost for the axle, gears, shortening the d-shaft, u-bolts, shims, and a few other misc doo dads.

Crazed, yes it HAD 8 lug stuff but Keith worked something out with the yard guy and got me the 5 lug stuff and a bunch of other goodies. so i dont have the 8 lug stuff. Sorry man.
I think it was all part of some deal that he was able to work out for me.
Talk to Keith_L and see if he can talk to his contact about getting the 8 lug stuff. Its worth a shot.:shrug

If i had to choose a rear axle of my choice i would probably go 14 bolt.
Argueably the strongest "common" oem rear axle.
Parts are a dime a dozen from what i have heard, and I have yet to hear or see anyone break anything out of a 14 bolt.

We all know why there easier to get, there chevy axles, chevys are about as plentiful in the junk yards, as bling bling is on p-diddy! :toothless :toothless

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its all good brother man :beer
I wish you luck in your search.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Congrats brah, I ordered my d44 today too!:thumbup (I didn't think to ask if it was HD or not Crazed...if it is we'll work something out...:toothless ) I am also collecting up odds and ends to do the swap. A bunch of us are planning an SAS/lift party one week-end on mine ("The Beast") and Drilim's rig. Good luck with your swap Beerdude!:beer

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, and good luck with yours as well.
I will be in good hands, eerrrrrr my truck will be.:beer

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
for stuff like ball joints & other misc crap, why not try locally first, i bet its cheaper. also is JBG selling gears for the same cost as precision or less? i have always had good luck with JBG, but if im buying something they are just going to call precision gear for, i can do that and then theres no question about who i call for warranty. plus they may give you a deal on master overhaul kits, if not, they are on ebay all the time. good luck, glad you got your stuff. i got 2 D44s if anyone near kansas needs one...

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have tried precisions web site and get nothing.
I didnt try to call them.
Their ad in the magazines say "WE SELL WHOLESALE ONLY"
Just like that in all caps as if they dont want joe schmoe calling in to buy parts. :shrug
I may give em a try.

I just figured Jeff's cuz they have always treated me right, never had a bad part or been rubbed the wrong way, and I like knowing that my money went to a fellow wheeler and "person" instead of a god damn huge ass corporation like 4wpw who really doesnt give two squirts of piss if you ever come back.
I think that by mentioning that I am a member of FSB when I make my purchases, it just goes to show that they might have to anie up on teh customer responiveness a little because they wouldnt want me coming here and talking smack about their business.
:shrug who knows. Just a thought.
But you are 100% right, sometimes it does come right down to the price you pay.
For this project its all about saving money so I appreciate your advise bud.

Jer:thumbup

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally PG web site is up.
they say that there are building a new site soon.
www.precisiongear.com
I am going to call them today for pricing and see what i can get. :shrug

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Jer, try Drivetrain Direct

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know, and to think I am still going to probably ask more...
:goodfinge
I will finally roll with the big boys.:beer

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
raf looked around and found the cheapest gears. it just takes some hunting. try randys ring and pinion too. i found my tie rod ends at all the places in town, but only o'reileys had them in stock. one is freaking $45 and the other is $25. i just need to find an end for the drag link. but its just easier to get warranty on a part locally. AXE

1 - 20 of 88 Posts