Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys I recently acquired a 460 out of an 89 f-250 from 91fordbaja and am starting the tear down process... now keep in mind that I am not quite the photographer the Crazed is but I am still in training.... so far I have ripped the top end off to check everything out... so far so good... a couple of the piston tops look kinda oily though... I am going to be redoing the piston rings and the valve seals to cure this problem.

here is a link to my pictures...
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=36&s=14542#content

let me know what you think any and all suggestions or opinions are welcome, but don't take it to offense if I don't listen! :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Tim, take as many HIGH QUALITY !!!! Pictures as you can!

IF you get good pics that are not blurry and can be blown up for print. I will use them in Bronco Driver Magizine!

E-mail me @ [email protected]

I wan't to help and exploit you for pictures and an artile for the magizine

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sent you an email Ryan... but just in case

I will take as many pictures as I can for you... what resolution pics do you want? I can get up into the 2000 pixel area. just to let you know this 460 EFI is going into a 1980 bronco. keep in touch as to what you want or need pictures of and I will take what I can.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Timmy said:
just to let you know this 460 EFI is going into a 1980 bronco.
Uh :confused: how you going to wire it? 1980 never had EFI.
What is your time line, when will this project be completed?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fireguy50 said:
Uh :confused: how you going to wire it? 1980 never had EFI.
What is your time line, when will this project be completed?
yes I know my 1980 never had EFI... that is why I got the complete wiring harness out of the truck I got the engine from... should swap over nicely, plus if I have to I do know how to rewire somethings... hell I helped my brother swap ina 5.0 into his 1973 bronco with out a wiring diagram or anything to go by and it runs like a top.:beer

·
Registered
98 Posts
Watch out for the cheapest price on cranks and rods and pistons. Chances are they are whats called factory seconds. That means there junk! Example SCAT casts out a crank but, it fails the xray test. What do you think they do with it? trash it? nope they sell it as a factory defect. Not really a big deal but, Lots of companys buy them up and sell them on ebay as the real quality product. When you think your buying a crank that can handle 500 hp @ 6500 rpms in fact can only handle [email protected] 5000 rpms. I found this out the hard way....

Remember when your building for performance its not cheap, theres no cheap way out. Only a rich person can afford to put the cheapest parts into a performance engine cause, only the rich could afford to do it over and over again.

Do it nice, not twice.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Tunedup said:
Do it nice, not twice.
I do my best to live by that motto

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
An '88 460 wiring harness is much, much better for swapping into a non-efi truck, trust me. You'll have nothing but headaches if you use the '89 harness. Try finding a junkyard '88 harness before starting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dustball said:
An '88 460 wiring harness is much, much better for swapping into a non-efi truck, trust me. You'll have nothing but headaches if you use the '89 harness. Try finding a junkyard '88 harness before starting.
Really... well that is a good thing to know, do you happen to know what is different between the 2? once I dig into the harness part of it I will make that decision.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
----update---

well I got the heads all taken apart so I can replace the valve seals and I figured it would be good to clean off the valves from all the carbon build up on them... I am running into a little bump in the road, What works the best to clean this carbon off of the valves? I have a dremel tool with a wire wheel but man those wheels go fast and they are expensive...

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
not to be a smart ass, but try oven cleaner. i use the dollar store stuff and its cleaned my whole truck. either that or theres got to be a solvent that will work. good deal, i want to tear my heads apart too. im going to get bigger valves and i need hardened seats too. you know there has to be a cheaper way to stroke your motor. i just havent had time to look for it. its always something, AXE

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oven cleaner huh.... I will give it a try, I tried carb cleaner on them and it didn't do a damn thing. once I get the valves all cleaned up I am going to lap them so I know they have a good seat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Starting to reassemble the 460!!! getting excited....

Block is all painted

Heads are put together and ready for paint

Heads got some paint!

Heads, rockers and valve covers are installed

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just waiting for my stainless steel bolt kit to arrive to assemble the rest.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 55 Posts