Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, tonight i hear from one of my friends about all the crap my brother is doin since i left. first of all, tonight was our annual egg wars at our high school. this is where the juniors and seniors go out to a field, and throw eggs at each other. he decides that since none of his friends will take their cars, he will take his nice $8500 truck my parents just bought him. he came back with hundreds of dents in it and peeled up paint. this wouldnt be a big deal except the fact that he lied to my parents about it. secondly, he has decided that he would start smoking pot. this is the part that gets me really really pissed off. my parents raised him better than that and i was a better big brother than that. i have seen far too many of my friends screw their lives up with drugs. so now it comes down to where i ask you guys a question. what should i do about this? take him out and beat him? talk to my parents about it? what would you guys do? remember this is my 15 year old brother im talkin about. i know how those times go, he probly knows everything and is superman, or so he thinks. what would you guys do?

wes

·
Registered
755 Posts
hey wes,
try a set him straight, sorry to hear that, i know you know what to do as a big brother because i have talked to you enough to know you would do the right thing and try and help him, how to help him, im not sure of the best thing, i wish you luck!

air

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
Wes I don't know how old you are. But I am 19 and my little bro is 15 and I caught him smoking a few months ago and I just threatned to tell my mom,dad,grandma,grandfather and so on about is little new habbit and he pretty much quit the next day. Plus I told him that if he didn't quit I would be the living shit out him everyday until he quits. Needless to say he quit.:thumbup
But I did go the whole route saying that he is embarrassing the family blah blah and I said that hurt me. I also Talked to him like he was an adult as well because I think that is what he felt he was.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im 18 and hes 15. my best friend got all screwed up in this a while back, and he almost went to a boot camp because of it. i dont know y, after my brother saw that happen, y he would do it. i guess hes just tryin to be kool and stuff, im goin to talk to him, i tried talkin to him on AIM tonight, and he apparently just thought he was too kool to talk to me, i think he is goin to learn real fast how he isnt superman.

wes

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your bro is 15 and he's legal to drive?? How?

And btw- If your bro continues to smoke pot, but doesn't get into other things, I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Just tell him to be smart about it, and not to do it too often. Pot has no proven damaging effects on the brain (becides short term memory loss).

My opinion though.

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
See tractorcrusher I can't agree with about what you said about smoking pot. Just about every friend I had that smoke pot ended up in jail or droped out of school to get money for more pot, or they got on to more crazy drugs (acid,lsd,x)

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hes not, he just has a truck already, and sometimes my parents let his friends drive it.

i have seen the damaging effects from pot. jailtime, it will ALWAYS lead to other drugs, and bad situations. pot is always negative, never positive, and i dont see how you see it that way, oh well, my opinion.

wes

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, like I said, you have to be smart about doing it... I don't think you realize how many people actually do it, but those who brag/talk about it get caught. Just from what I've observed though.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Leave him be, let him learn the hard way. he'll get busted, spend a night in jail, decide it's no fun to be there, and MAYBE he'll stop. If he doesn't, it's not your fault he failed

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
david, i have thought about that, but then i remember all he has going for him NOW, and how he doesnt need to screw that up for the future. as a sophmore he has colleges looking at him as a QB possibility. that is pretty damn good and he can get a free ride that way easily. i learned a lot of things the hard way and dont want to see him go through that like i did, i dont know if that is the best route.

wes

·
Registered
200 Posts
davids78bronco said:
Leave him be, let him learn the hard way. he'll get busted, spend a night in jail, decide it's no fun to be there, and MAYBE he'll stop. If he doesn't, it's not your fault he failed
Yeah, most of my good/best friends used to smoke pot... But they stopped before I met them. So I really don't have any good advice about how to get someone to stop. The person that does it has to motivate themselves to stop, I don't think that any outside force can just make them stop cold turkey.

Even jail doesn't stop most people though.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
personally id beat him lol but eh thats me.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
wes 03 said:
david, i have thought about that, but then i remember all he has going for him NOW, and how he doesnt need to screw that up for the future. as a sophmore he has colleges looking at him as a QB possibility. that is pretty damn good and he can get a free ride that way easily. i learned a lot of things the hard way and dont want to see him go through that like i did, i dont know if that is the best route.

wes
Wes....Me and My best friends older brother and sister just went through this. I am like that families 4th sibling, and the youngest kid, My best friend...got involved in a grp that he shouldnt have been. It started with smoking pot here and there...And quickly escalated to a daily thing. I dont personally have a problem with pot, But it is, despite what most feel, a gateway drug. He quickly got into pills...Alot of prescription painkillers and home-made bullshit. I heard it though 2nd and 3rd kinda friends...He was ashamed to tell me. He was sneaking out at night to go hang with this loser dopeheads.

Now, Some may think im a rat...But, I told his older brother, who is also a dear friend. The younger is on anti-depressants, and bi-polar medicine, and the last thing he needs to do is pollute his system. His older brother and sister sat him down last week...And talked to him as and adult. No yelling, screaming...Just telling him straight up. They explained to him that his parents knew he was up to something, and it was hell on them because it was very hard to confront him..

Anyway, He called me up that night and apologized for all the bullshit and lies...He is done with the whole drug thing. Its really cool to see him turn back into his old self.

Wow, Sorry about the rant. Sit him down, talk to him. Explain that he doesnt need to do it to be cool. The consequences if he is caught with it, or on it while driving...And basically how stupid it is to f#$% with his chances at college ball for a quick high.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya, i think what im goin to do is take him for a drive, and just talk to him as an adult there, stayin away from my parents, if he doesnt respond then and keeps up with it, i will tell them. i learned a lot of shit from my dad, and although sometimes i thought i hated him with a passion, he was only doin it for my betterment, and i know they will do the same for him. anyone else want to help me out with ideas?

wes

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry, forgot to say thanks to all you guys for bein serious about a serious matter. i appreciate it. thanks for all the advice

wes

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another question

should i talk to his friends and get them to try to get him back in the right direction? my best friend who went through this phase a while back has alraedy said stuff, but should i get more of his friends to say stuff to make him realize its not kool and not what he needs to be doing?

wes

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,182 Posts
Wes, I went through the same exact thing with my brother when I was your age, in fact we are exactly 3 years apart just like you guys are. It was tough for me as a straight laced kid just getting ready to start college watch my little brother pretty much start to ruin his life with booze and dope. I talked, and talked, and talked some more to him. My main concerrn was that I did not want him to wind up like our old man, in jail. Did he listen? No, it took him totalling his car and killing a girl until he finally woke up. It's sad, and I remember how frustrated I was because I could not get him to understand how what he was doing was not only destructive to himself but others around him. At 15, I'm sure your brother thinks he knows eveything, hell I still think I know everything, I'm just lucky that I'm here to talk about it..As for talking to his friends, my opinion is leave it alone. I'm sure he know's how you feel by now, and as much as it hurts he's going to have to figure this out on his own.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
see, thats what i want to avoid with him. im tryin to figure out a way that he wont have to learn on his own, and he can see "the light" and snap out of it. im just goin to talk to him, and if that doesnt do the trick ill go to his friends, if that doesnt do it, its mom and dad.

wes

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
davids78bronco said:
That doesn't work, I found my brother(9yrs younger)smoking pot when he was in HS. He swore it was the first and last time, they let him off the hook. Long story short, after a night in jail, stealing from family,3 stints in rehab he's now on his 4th halfway house. Now's he's 22 with a felony conviction and no future. Wes good luck, do what you can to straighten him out now. I wish I beat my bro's ass when I caught him. I can't help to think what if.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts