Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started out by digging a hole in the (extremely rocky) ground.. this took a long time.

Then, found out it was a bit extra deep.. so through a bunch of the rocks back in, as well as some scrap metal and junk parts.

then some rebar

then i borrowed a mixer and got some friends to help me mix up cement.. mixed with dirt because i'm cheap (for the first layer) this made a good foundation for the "solid" cement to be on higher up (i'd have gone solid all the way, but it was the weekend and the lumbard yard was closed, and i didn't have enough)

Then used the 1.5 yards of 50/50 sand/gravel cement stuff I had, which only got me about 30% of the way across.. which sucks because now there's gonna be a seam... but oh well.

then went back with the trailer and got another 3.5 yards (9,000lb) of 50/50 on the trailer.. hauled it with the explorer :rockon (yes, i could have used the diesel f-130 dually, but that didn't seem like much of a challenge)

so tomorrow my plan is to put down the rest of it...... figure out what the cement pad is for yet? and yes, i know i made a bunch of mistakes laying the cement.. but i'm an amature what do you expect! haha.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Lift pad, so what do i get? And it better be more than a damn cookie.

·
Registered
674 Posts
yes, i know i made a bunch of mistakes laying the cement.. but i'm an amature what do you expect! haha.
My day job is a PM for an engineering/consulting firm. I just monitored and inspected a 1500 cubic yard concrete pour last night. I inspect foundations and concrete installations everyday. I would write up a lot of discrepancy notices with this, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My day job is a PM for an engineering/consulting firm. I just monitored and inspected a 1500 cubic yard concrete pour last night. I inspect foundations and concrete installations everyday. I would write up a lot of discrepancy notices with this, lol.
well i'm not above taking suggestions.. school me

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts

what you mean crankshafts, coils, and intake manifolds arent allowed in a foundation??

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be just fine, depending on what you're doing with it. Tell us!
hoxvii guessed it already. it's a pad for a lift. so it will need some strength.. i'm mixing the cement pretty richly with the sand/gravel, so it should have a high PSI or whatever. it's a 2 post list so it only attaches in the center, but i'll be welding to, and enlarging the footprint of the lift a bit, just for some added piece of mind.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
hoxvii guessed it already. it's a pad for a lift. so it will need some strength.. i'm mixing the cement pretty richly with the sand/gravel, so it should have a high PSI or whatever. it's a 2 post list so it only attaches in the center, but i'll be welding to, and enlarging the footprint of the lift a bit, just for some added piece of mind.
id be a little worried, id do solid concrete 100%. with it being only a 2 post lift if the weigh is off center its going to pull against the bolts more. if one pulls out 6000 lbs of truck could come crashing down on you.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
id be a little worried, id do solid concrete 100%. with it being only a 2 post lift if the weigh is off center its going to pull against the bolts more. if one pulls out 6000 lbs of truck could come crashing down on you.

When i said i was mixing the concrete richly, i meant i was using a lot of the cement powder in the sand/gravel stuff.. "readycrete" i believe is 20% cement 80% sand/gravel (or so i was told) i'm doing about 25% cement 75% sand/gravel.

as for the part i chinsed out on and did dirt on the bottom.. there's still 6 inches (about 10 where the posts go) which will be solid concrete no dirt crap.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
When i said i was mixing the concrete richly, i meant i was using a lot of the cement powder in the sand/gravel stuff.. "readycrete" i believe is 20% cement 80% sand/gravel (or so i was told) i'm doing about 25% cement 75% sand/gravel.

as for the part i chinsed out on and did dirt on the bottom.. there's still 6 inches (about 10 where the posts go) which will be solid concrete no dirt crap.
if theres a shitload of pure concrete where the posts mount then it shoudl be fine. i however am a firm beleiver in overkill.:thumbup

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
i just notced a wrench in there

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if theres a shitload of pure concrete where the posts mount then it shoudl be fine. i however am a firm beleiver in overkill.:thumbup
yeah, i wouldn't mind more concrete either.. after-all, there's no such thing as "underkill" ...however, i wanted to make progress so it seemed like a good idea. besides, as it is i'm up to about $650 in concrete and sand/gravel.

i just notced a wrench in there
heh :thumbup yeah it was rusted SOLID.. got lost in the dirt and found later.

there's also 3 cams, 3 intake manifolds, 2 coil springs, a 3'rd member, a few axle shafts, 2 crankshafts, 3 leaf springs, part of a toyota door, some exhaust manifolds, some pistons, some air cleaners, an oil pan, a lamp, a few harmonic balancers, some engine mounts, a pitchfork, a couple timing chain sets.. and probably other stuff i'm forgetting about

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
yeah, i wouldn't mind more concrete either.. after-all, there's no such thing as "underkill" ...however, i wanted to make progress so it seemed like a good idea. besides, as it is i'm up to about $650 in concrete and sand/gravel.

heh :thumbup yeah it was rusted SOLID.. got lost in the dirt and found later.

there's also 3 cams, 3 intake manifolds, 2 coil springs, a 3'rd member, a few axle shafts, 2 crankshafts, 3 leaf springs, part of a toyota door, some exhaust manifolds, some pistons, some air cleaners, an oil pan, a lamp, a few harmonic balancers, some engine mounts, a pitchfork, a couple timing chain sets.. and probably other stuff i'm forgetting about
what the hell you just have this shit laying around?

·
Registered
674 Posts

Basically, just thicken up and reinforce where the lift attaches to. Surely the lift comes with direction on footings and anchor bolt embedment. I wish I had a lift. Without seeing it, I gotta pass on any real recomendations.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what the hell you just have this shit laying around?
yeah, it was all out of my scrap metal pile... i do a lot of projects (and help friends with quite a few as well). i have a whole shed full of "good" old parts, but these were deemed as junk for one reason or another (well except maybe the intakes, but who wants shitty stock intakes anyway)

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
yeah, it was all out of my scrap metal pile... i do a lot of projects (and help friends with quite a few as well). i have a whole shed full of "good" old parts, but these were deemed as junk for one reason or another (well except maybe the intakes, but who wants shitty stock intakes anyway)
being in the suburbs i can only let scrap metal pile up till i have a tractor cart and 5 gallon bucket full.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts