Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low pitch whine coming from underneath the Bronco. It sounds like it's coming from the front.
It does it when under load and at a neutral throttle. I have climbed under there and greased everything and checked everything, but still got the noise.
Any Ideas out there on what to check?

Thanks
Roman

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
have you checked tranny fluid level and transfercase fluid level?

perhaps its the powersteering pump, AC compressor or alt?

·
penis
3,320 Posts
LOL ummmm muffler bearing tight???? Maybe you shoud discribe when it is happening, like when I slow to a stop or light acceleration turning, banging the girlfriend I mean all of these can clue us in to where we need to be pointing other then it maybe coming from the front.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL ummmm muffler bearing tight???? Maybe you shoud discribe when it is happening, like when I slow to a stop or light acceleration turning, banging the girlfriend I mean all of these can clue us in to where we need to be pointing other then it maybe coming from the front.
It does it when under load and at a neutral throttle.

Thanks
Roman
Hmm.... I thought I did.

Transfer case no, all the others yes.
Could it be my wheel bearings.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Well maybe it is your hearing you ever check that. Could be you alternator is whinning or your p/s pump, the air pump, I doubt it would be your wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well maybe it is your hearing you ever check that. Could be you alternator is whinning or your p/s pump, the air pump, I doubt it would be your wheel bearing.
No not my hearing, my son, and my wife can also here it. And it really just happens under acceleration and neutral throttle. I don't know about hard acceleration because I would not be able to hear it anyway.
How would I go about checking the alt or p/s pump?

Thanks

·
penis
3,320 Posts
P/S would be under load start truck turn the steering wheel if whine is there then you P/S pump, when your idling you should here the whine from the alternator.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Is it kind of a low roar?
It sounds like the exact same thing my Bronco does...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P/S would be under load start truck turn the steering wheel if whine is there then you P/S pump, when your idling you should here the whine from the alternator.
I don't hear anything from the alt. The only thing I hear from the p/s is the normal sound I hear from most p/s pumps.
It really sounds like it's coming from the front underneath somewhere.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
It could be tranny whine or the front diff. is the hubs locked by chance? If it is from the front drive it at a speed it is present have the wife pull up next to you and listen for the noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you figure that out can you clue me in. I have what sounds like the same noise. Mine has been to the shop a few times for other things and this noise isn't anything they have tried to tell me needs to be fixed. I haven't tried to look for this one yet because I have alot of other things I know need fixed.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
it could be a wheel bearing for sure unless you hear the noise when the vehicle isnt moving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you really are looking for help on here. You're going to have to put as much effort into it as those on the forum would. The descriptions you have offered are extremely vague and seem to lack effort on your part. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but instead help you help yourself.
I have a vibration in my truck and it seems to be coming from underneath... Get it?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Does it make the sound under the throttle in park or neutral gear? In other words does it make the noise when you give it throttle while standing still? Does it do it in 2WD with the Hubs unlocked, or are the hubs locked? Mine does a low roar/whine noise when hubs are locked because I need to rebuild my front diff (bad bearings).

Basically you need to determine if it makes the noise while just moving or moving AND standing still. If it makes the noise only when moving it will help identify the problem by limiting it to parts that only operate while moving. If it only makes the noise while standing still it will eliminate parts that operate only while moving. If it makes the noise while both moving AND standing still then its most likely a part somewhere in the motor (this is because while sitting in park with the engine on the only parts operating are motor parts). Make sense?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Does it make the sound under the throttle in park or neutral gear? In other words does it make the noise when you give it throttle while standing still? Does it do it in 2WD with the Hubs unlocked, or are the hubs locked? Mine does a low roar/whine noise when hubs are locked because I need to rebuild my front diff (bad bearings).

Basically you need to determine if it makes the noise while just moving or moving AND standing still. If it makes the noise only when moving it will help identify the problem by limiting it to parts that only operate while moving. If it only makes the noise while standing still it will eliminate parts that operate only while moving. If it makes the noise while both moving AND standing still then its most likely a part somewhere in the motor (this is because while sitting in park with the engine on the only parts operating are motor parts). Make sense?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you really are looking for help on here. You're going to have to put as much effort into it as those on the forum would. The descriptions you have offered are extremely vague and seem to lack effort on your part. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but instead help you help yourself.
I have a vibration in my truck and it seems to be coming from underneath... Get it?
IS THIS BETTER.
I can only tell you what I know. If it did it during any other time I would of posted it. Maybe next time I will tell ya when it does not do it, as that seems to be what your looking for.

I have a low pitch whine coming from underneath the Bronco. It sounds like it's coming from the front.
It does it when under load and at a neutral throttle. Also it does while I am sitting in the passenger seat in my underwear, and when I am in the house sleeping, thats the strange part. I have climbed under there and greased everything and checked everything, but still got the noise.
Any Ideas out there on what to check?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It only does it under load, but when I am at a steady speed under 45mph it seems.
It kinda seems like it is getting lounder as well, and it almost seems like its coming from the drivers side front.
I am gonna go outside and throw it into 4x and see what it does.

Thanks
Roman

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
It only does it under load, but when I am at a steady speed under 45mph it seems.
It kinda seems like it is getting lounder as well, and it almost seems like its coming from the drivers side front.
I am gonna go outside and throw it into 4x and see what it does.

Thanks
Roman
I would lean toward the wheel bearings, but thats just me.

Mine is making a very similar sound at the moment. Only thing different is mine only happens with the hubs locked and in 4WD.

Since yours is making the sound in 2WD I would probably eliminate the front diff.

Jack the front of the bronco up so the front tires are in the air (you can do it one tire at a time if you want). With the tire in the air lift up on it and see if you have any play (up and down). Should be nice and tight. 2 things that can cause play (that i know of) are the wheel bearings and the ball joints. Although if it was just ball joints it wouldnt be making the noise your explaining but it might make it appear as if there is bad wheel bearings. So you need to pay attention to where the play is coming from (if you have any)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would lean toward the wheel bearings, but thats just me.

Mine is making a very similar sound at the moment. Only thing different is mine only happens with the hubs locked and in 4WD.

Since yours is making the sound in 2WD I would probably eliminate the front diff.

Jack the front of the bronco up so the front tires are in the air (you can do it one tire at a time if you want). With the tire in the air lift up on it and see if you have any play (up and down). Should be nice and tight. 2 things that can cause play (that i know of) are the wheel bearings and the ball joints. Although if it was just ball joints it wouldnt be making the noise your explaining but it might make it appear as if there is bad wheel bearings. So you need to pay attention to where the play is coming from (if you have any)

Hope this helps
Thats funny I was just doing that, then came in and read this. I finally checked the BJ's last week and they seem to be good.:rockon
I also put it into 4x and it seemed fine as well, only just a little thud when I first took off.

I was also leaning towards the WB as well, but a couple of people said no, so I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts