Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a scrape and brush of the frame, underside of the body, floorpans, and suspension. Then I am rubberize undercoating the frame and floors. The drivetrain is getting a light coating of flat black rustoleum. Honestly, the worst areas of rust are on my crossmembers. :( This will have to be addressed when I rebuild the drivetrain.

If you can imagine the entire underside of my 1978 Bronco Ranger looked like this!!!!

Old finish is flaking off and the surface rust is 100% throughout. Luckily, structural integrity is intact.

Here is a decent shot of the driverside frame. I like taking pictures because the missed areas show up better with the flash.

Look to the front of my truck and see the Dana 44.....I haven't got that far yet. But you can see Ol' blue is still hurtin' up there.

Here is my 9" all cleaned up.

Radius Arm Driverside

Floor

Gas tank and 3rd member

More to come soon....this was just the first coat on everything and I ran out of the undercoating paint. That stuffs not cheap. $5.99 a can!

.::To be continued::.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the front end cleaned up and painted with the first coat last night. I found a 072 on the back of my Dana 44.....any one have a clue what that is for? I also like the reinforcing on my Dana 44....is that stock for my Bronco or do I have an aftermarket D44?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it is nasty......I love scraping and brushing off 10 plus years of grim and dirt and getting it in my hair and eyes!!!! I found clumps of dirt up in the frame that are probably from a decade ago. I'm not sure when the previous restore was done....I think it was about 10 years ago. The previous owner said that he bought it in Pennslyvania like 6 years ago. I know the last owner probably never washed Ol' Blue the whole time he had him....inside or out. Hopefully with this clean up and the mechanical work I will have one of the nicest 78-79 Broncos in the area.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the before :(
It's like seeing an abused child man!

Engine Compartment cleaned and painted black. I am installing a new cam so I figured with the top half of the engine off I might as well clean up what I can reach and repaint.

I finally got the water pump off and I need to keep going but the weather is going to be stopping me soon. :)
I need to heat my garage and lower the tires to get in there. HAHAHA

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know what you guys and girls think. I need motivation to go out and work in the cold.....LOL

·
car ramrod
Irate4x4 .com
602 Posts
Thanks for reminding me that I need to undercoat my Bronco. That will be a fun weekend:banghead She looks like she is coming along nicely. I really like the reinforcement for the front axle.

·
4:20 Enthusiast!
3,278 Posts
Nice job! Wanna do mine now!lol
The undercoat will not stop the rust but it sure helps to slow it down a lot.
I redid my whole floor with galvanized steel.Its a great way to make the floor last longer.lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rusty: Unfortunately, yes it would be better to sandblast to the bare metal. I don't really have the time or money. I clean it up the best I can and get it scrapped the best I can before I paint it. I'm not really looking for a show truck. Just something that doesn't look like a rust heap. Even tho it may be under the paint. (wink wink). My next truck will be made from Stainless Steel.;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure if I posted my heads with the chrome valve covers yet.....I can't wait to get this back together this spring!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New Flaming River Steering Shaft........My rag joint was pissing me off and is super loose!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is my old steering shaft and setup.

I removed this bolt at the top of the assembly.
And removed the cotter pin in the center of the shaft.

Removed the (2) nuts in the rag joint end of the assembly.

Pulled out the top portion of the assembly. With the slip joint it slid down and out.
and yanked out the old frail rag joint.

Then I installed the new shaft. Voila!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts