Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to unscrew an old brake line that's rusted onto the connector without breaking or ruining it?

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
With heat.

·
Registered
665 Posts
First I would soak in penetrating oil overnight and use those flare wrenches designed for line fittings etc. You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
A really good penetrating oil, time, and a flare wrench. Without a flare wrench don't even try to remove. It will round off. Soak in penetrating oil a day (keep spraying it) then attempt to remove it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
+2 on the pipe wrench - a monster pair of vice grips has done before too if it gets rounded. Flare wrench almost always works though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'll reply with my experience after my attempt this weekend. My main concern here is that this is the rear line that runs along the frame. I'll be disconnecting it to install the extended line for my new leaf springs. The parts stores in my area dont normally have lines this long if I ruin it and I hate waiting to finish part of the project once I start it!

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
First I would soak in penetrating oil overnight and use those flare wrenches designed for line fittings etc. You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight
Dont get cheap flare wrenches...... they spread easy and will destroy the nut part

·
Registered
580 Posts
The technique I use is to give them a hard push when you think you are on it good. A slow powerful turn almost always screws it up worse. So a quick hard shove is the way to go.

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
I noticed that too when I did my lines. It was kind of weird.

Use nice flare wenches. I used craftsman and only f'ed one because I was turning the wrong way..... So don't do that lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The quick hard shove was very effective, THANKS! I replaced all lines I touched with new steel lines, had to bleed the whole system anyway, they were cheap enough. Rather be safe than sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts