Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first 4-Wheel adventure, I was given the chance to drive my friend's ancient 1943 Willy's Jeep up at his summer house. Being over 60 years old, "Betsy" has seen better days and is in dire need of a good overhaul or a final resting place (now is mostly a work vehicle). Just about everything is broken, but being teenagers, we wanted to go have a little fun :twotu:. After fooling around in the morning on some of the easier trails on my friend's property (I wanted to make sure that it was reasonably safe), we decided to go up to the top of the hill with the whole gang. So we piled about 5 people into the old heep and set out up the moderately steep hill. To get to the base of the "mountain", we had to ford a stream and traverse up a steep bank to get back on the trail. First time through, I almost lost it due to bad tires and way to much weight (I shouldn't have brought so many people:banghead ), but caught half way up the bank and made it over. During the climb up, we had a lot of stall outs and close calls because we couldn’t get traction/had no power. After about an hour of twisty roads and steep grades, we made it up to the top (I was amazed that the jeep made it up with all of those people and its 60 HP). After screwing around on the "summit" for a while, we started our descent towards the bottom. The way down was a little scarier due to a lack of brakes and as we later coined the leaves (couldn't get traction on the slippery mat of leaves), but we made it to the river in one piece. Being pompous teenagers, one of my passengers called me a p***y for driving so slow (he's a moron), but I am not that stupid and I took it very slow (I grannyed it). When going down the bank, the jeep lost its footing and slid all the way down into the river. Trying to recover and not slide into a deeper part of the stream, I gave it some gas (not much, I swear) to give me control over the vehicle and get through the water. Being old, the accelerator fell to the floor and gave Betsy way too much gas, causing her to be launched over the opposite bank (Upon further inspection, I found that someone had jerry rigged the damn accelerator linkage together, making it susceptible to getting stuck). After getting air and hearing the old motor rev out of control :eek:, I somehow recovered during the rough landing and punched in the clutch and killed the engine. After coming to a safe stop, I sighed a great sign of relief. After turning around to make sure that everyone was there, I realized that we were one short. Looking back and seeing in utter horror, my friend (one that originally told me to go fast) was laying in the stream clutching both legs. I first thought that he had broken his legs, so we all rushed to his aid. It turned out that he had not actually broken his legs but he had cut his shins on the back of the jeep fender (During our takeoff before the flight, he wasn't paying attention and was flung out because he wasn’t holding on/paying attention). Being shins, he bled all over the place, but we patched him up. After fixing the accelerator we drove back to the old house. Thinking that nothing else could possibly happen, we had a run in with the neighbor's hired hand, who thought that we were local punks trespassing on this boss's property. Even after explaining that we had asked the owner to pass through his prosperity (my friend's family actually owned the place we drove) we had to wait another 1/2 hour till the owner came back and cleared our names. Finally we set out and got back to the house. :doh0715:

Moral(s) of the Story: Don't drive old s**t that is not maintained, don’t overload a vehicle with people, drive on well maintained trails, and most certainly, don't listen to morons ;)

~Cheers, Tim :thumbup :chili: :chili:

PS: Don't flame me for being an idiot. I was the only one who could drive a stick so they "made" me do it. BTW, my friend who got hurt thought the whole thing was funny, but I am so lucky that no one else got hurt, and I hopefully won't ever do any thing so stupid again. :brownbag

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like fun time...nobody got hurt too bad...I had an old Willys, 1945 model. I always had to inspect it before riding it any distance...there was something always breaking and coming loose on that thing. Next time, just check it out before you put a bunch of people in it. If you can get the old Jeep is half decent shape, they run for ever (evident since that one was 60+ years old) and are nearly bullet proof...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts