Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Dana 50 stub shaft. Its what I think is the "older" style.

It has no c-clip groove,

a grease zerk on the slip yoke, and some rubber o-ring,

My question is: Is the install any different than the "normal" D50 stub install with the cut spring and welded yoke cap?

Thank you:beer

P.S. I took the snap rings out.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've never seen one like that before, but the install should be the same. One of the best things about that mod is that you don't need to install the c-clip in the diff, so it doesn't matter at all that there is no groove for the c-clip. On mine I ended up taking the rubber boot off of the D44 stub and reusing it on the D50, so I'm not real sure what's going on with that collar with the zerk fitting.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I don't think it will work, plus you don't have all of it.

The bearing would press onto the shaft, then a plate would hold the bearing & shaft assembly into the early D50 housing.

So I doubt the OD of that early shaft is the same as the newer TTB shafts, which would prevent it from sealing.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Here is a comparo pic of the '85ish D50 slip I used to use (on top obviously), so IMO it looks like it will work, grease zerk is no big deal. The only thing I see is it looks like the bigger neck area right adjacent to where the diff bearing will be looks to be a little longer on yours. easy enough for you to find out once you get that passenser side shaft out:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That collar and zerk do the same thing as the rubber boot, just in a cleaner, more effective, and for ford, more expensive manner.

All that collar is is a grease seal and a very effective one at that. Pump some grease in it and it'll keep the splines moving clean.

I personally don't like the boot setup since if you get water in there you don't really know. with the collar pump some grease in there and it'll push the water and nasty grease out, just like a u-joint.

Justin

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
That collar and zerk do the same thing as the rubber boot, just in a cleaner, more effective, and for ford, more expensive manner.

All that collar is is a grease seal and a very effective one at that. Pump some grease in it and it'll keep the splines moving clean.

I personally don't like the boot setup since if you get water in there you don't really know. with the collar pump some grease in there and it'll push the water and nasty grease out, just like a u-joint.

Justin
yep.

This setup is common on driveshafts as well. My rather expensive 1 ton shaft from high angle has the zerk collar/seal.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the input.

Justin have you ever fitted one of these in a TTB Dana44?

I guess Im going to have to play around with it when the time comes. Im pulling the 3rd member off and dropping it off at a local gear&4x4 shop for my L/S and gear install when Im doing my lift. The L/S diff doesn't use c-clip axles so in worst case I'll reuse my D44 stub with the spring trick.

And that reminds me, as long as I dont put my Bronco in 4wheel, I can drive it to the gear shop for my rear locker and gear install.
Right?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nah, never did the stub shaft conversion since i never blew a stub. Of all the things that ever broke on my truck, the TTB never did.

If i was at home i could get you a pic of the early 44 stub vs. the late 44 stub so you could compare it to your 50 stub, but all i have with me is the late style. and all that really matters is if the seal fits or not. measure to where the seal would ride on you 44 stub and then measure the same distance up the 50 and see if the sahfts are the same diameter.

Justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts