Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,933 Posts
That might be the only thing about the winter olympics that is. Heard this morning that the advertisers were asking more ad time for what they paid for 'cause NBC is pulling such low numbers. Even ABC beats them.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
I don't know why it is, but sports just don't impress me anymore. Knowing that these people aren't literally being "paid" to be at the olympics, but knowing they are going to make millions in advertising when they get home kind of irritates me.

all the "N" sports irritate me anymore, NFL, NHL, and MLB is all a joke. These f*cking morons are getting paid to PLAY a game, and there pissed there only making 8 million a year?????

Gimme a break, i played hockey for close to 20 years, i wanted to go pro, but my knees prevented that. If you freaking gave me 40k a year i would play hockey, just because i would be so satisfied with what i was doing.

Even college sports don't do anything for me anymore, the only thing i really watch is NASCAR, and their overpayed, but they are also payed for how they perform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
Even college sports don't do anything for me anymore, the only thing i really watch is NASCAR, and their overpayed, but they are also payed for how they perform.
That is why I think NASCAR is pretty cool, they have to be giving 100% every race. They can't afford to slack off like people in other sports.
 

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
I don't watch it, but I'd imagine that some of the most heavy competition you'll see will be in busch series races and other like that where drivers are still trying to make a name for themselves.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,857 Posts
We go out to Irwindale raceway all the time and watch the smaller races...frigging awesome to see some of the start up drivers...they go balls to the wall.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
broncoman92 said:
I don't watch it, but I'd imagine that some of the most heavy competition you'll see will be in busch series races and other like that where drivers are still trying to make a name for themselves.

That's why i like the truck series. The Craftsman truck series is where the majority of the driver's get their start, and you want to talk about competition. It's SCAREY competitive.
 

·
crank trigger
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bronco Rob said:
I don't know why it is, but sports just don't impress me anymore. Knowing that these people aren't literally being "paid" to be at the olympics, but knowing they are going to make millions in advertising when they get home kind of irritates me.

all the "N" sports irritate me anymore, NFL, NHL, and MLB is all a joke. These f*cking morons are getting paid to PLAY a game, and there pissed there only making 8 million a year?????

Gimme a break, i played hockey for close to 20 years, i wanted to go pro, but my knees prevented that. If you freaking gave me 40k a year i would play hockey, just because i would be so satisfied with what i was doing.

Even college sports don't do anything for me anymore, the only thing i really watch is NASCAR, and their overpayed, but they are also payed for how they perform.
it is not the players fault. they don't hold a gun to the owners heads and demand the contract. they accept the contracts they are offered.
i don't really see a diff between nascar driver and an nhl center. in fact, nhl guys don't get paid for olympics. they don't get paid for playoffs.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
it is not the players fault. they don't hold a gun to the owners heads and demand the contract. they accept the contracts they are offered.
i don't really see a diff between nascar driver and an nhl center. in fact, nhl guys don't get paid for olympics. they don't get paid for playoffs.
No they just go on strike for a year.

I never said they do get paid for the Olympics.....as for the playoffs, they shouldn't get paid, they should be HAPPY to be there. And the fact that they made 4 million for the REST of the year kind of covers the playoffs.

I see a big difference between a NASCAR driver and a Center in the NHL. If a driver isn't performing, he can be replaced rather quickly, his contract can be written on a per race basis. With the stinking NHL union, if you got a dead player, your stuck paying out their salary til the end of their 3 year contract or buying out the contract.

NASCAR driver's performance on and off the track GREATLY affects their career.
 

·
crank trigger
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bronco Rob said:
No they just go on strike for a year.

I never said they do get paid for the Olympics.....as for the playoffs, they shouldn't get paid, they should be HAPPY to be there. And the fact that they made 4 million for the REST of the year kind of covers the playoffs.

I see a big difference between a NASCAR driver and a Center in the NHL. If a driver isn't performing, he can be replaced rather quickly, his contract can be written on a per race basis. With the stinking NHL union, if you got a dead player, your stuck paying out their salary til the end of their 3 year contract or buying out the contract.

NASCAR driver's performance on and off the track GREATLY affects their career.
i think you are exagerating a little bit. nhl players get traded all the time and lots get sent to the minors.
so what does a nascar driver get per race, like $50 or something? i am sure they are making bank too.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
i think you are exagerating a little bit. nhl players get traded all the time and lots get sent to the minors.
so what does a nascar driver get per race, like $50 or something? i am sure they are making bank too.

Well even if you finish 43rd in a race (out of 43 drivers) you still get what i make in a year (depending on the track).

But you also have to worry about getting to race again, you're never guaranteed a spot in a car, and your never guaranteed a spot in a race, you have to qualify to actually race. Some times there are over 50 cars battling to be one of the 43 that get to race. Your future is up to you.

Being sent to the minors doesn't mean anything, they still have to fullfill your contract, unless you were dumb enough to leave that out of your contract. Imagine the NHL setting up a scrimmage the night before a game, and telling the players that if they don't perform well in the scrimmage, they don't need to bother suiting up for the next game.....that wouldn't go over well, they'd probably strike again.
 

·
o[|||]o
Joined
·
11,146 Posts
Until they have MMA in the Olympics, I'll stick to UFC and Pride:box0715:
 

·
crank trigger
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JahWarrior said:
Until they have MMA in the Olympics, I'll stick to UFC and Pride:box0715:
i think that sounds like summer sport, so go ahead and watch. fun stuff. the snowboard cross was super wild to watch. the hockey is really good too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,933 Posts
It was complained on TV this morning that the olympics are sinking w/NBC 'cause the "announcers" spend more time profiling the athletes than on the events. Duh! What's the point of watching? And the results are already in before NBC's taped broadcast anyway.

And Brian Gumbel's racist comment didn't help.
 

·
o[|||]o
Joined
·
11,146 Posts
marv said:
It was complained on TV this morning that the olympics are sinking w/NBC 'cause the "announcers" spend more time profiling the athletes than on the events. Duh! What's the point of watching? And the results are already in before NBC's taped broadcast anyway.
You'd think you have someting against NBC. :scratchhe

marv said:
And Brian Gumbel's racist comment didn't help.
His comment was great, and quite accurate. It wasn't a racist comment, it was a comment about racists :histerica

I've never really been able to sit through the Olympics, except for the combat sports like Judo/Wrestling.

Bryant Gumbel said:
“try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of Blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention”
Thats rich :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top