Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched, i know when and how to do it, but there is one question. Someone said that they needed a special fuel filter tool, i would love to know for what years you need this tool. Mine is a 90 if that will help.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
i bet you have the same fittings i have and i needed a tool. the tool is cheap and readily available at any auto store. it is built scissor style and can do a few different sizes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
on my 91 you dont need it. on my old 93 i believe i had to use on i dont remember for sure though but i do have the tool layin in my garage so i guess i did. so 92-96 im sayin need it.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
brock said:
on my 91 you dont need it. on my old 93 i believe i had to use on i dont remember for sure though but i do have the tool layin in my garage so i guess i did. so 92-96 im sayin need it.
you prolly don't need one then.
have you looked at the filter and its connections? that should give you a real good clue.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check this afternoon because I feel my baby starvin for gas. If I sit at a light for too long it sometimes starts to idle rough and the rpms drop and go back up, it needs to be done tonight if possible. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
940 Posts
if there are white plastic clips pushed thru the black connector, you don't need the tool. if the connectors are solid and shiny silver, you do. as far as i have seen, anyway...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I didn't need the tool. This might have been the best 8 dollars I have ever spent onmy truck. It starts so easy, idles so smooth, and runs like a champ. All this for 8 bucks and less than ten minutes. The write ups here were helpful, but made it sound like gas was going to pour out, a few drops from the line and maybe the dirtiest gas you have ever seen, and all I had to do was push two pins. I think it was the original filter from the factory!

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
chevysuck said:
well, I didn't need the tool. This might have been the best 8 dollars I have ever spent onmy truck. It starts so easy, idles so smooth, and runs like a champ. All this for 8 bucks and less than ten minutes. The write ups here were helpful, but made it sound like gas was going to pour out, a few drops from the line and maybe the dirtiest gas you have ever seen, and all I had to do was push two pins. I think it was the original filter from the factory!
great. change that filter on sched now. your bronco is glad you bought it.

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
Check fuel pressure at the regulator after you change filter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just changed my filter on the 94 and what a PITA. I had the release tool and still nothing. I was afraid I was going to damage the lines by yanking on them, so I finally just took a pair of bolt cutters to one end of the filter and 5 minutes later- New filter. Turns out 2 of the little "fingers" were F'd up. A couple minutes with a screwdriver straightened them right out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts