Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I need a graphics card. I like Nvidia, but am in no way brand loyal. I am currently very interested in these two cards, but I'm not sure which one I should go with.

Card #1: EVGA GeForce 6800GS $200

Card #2: EVGA GeForce 7800GT $300

If anybody has another card that is a good value for the money, I'd love to hear about it.

Just looking for some more input, I'm stuck in between the two. :toothless What would ya'll do in my shoes?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I would go with the 7800. May as well put $100 more down now and have a newer card than to have to plop down another $300 in a few months because you didn't spring for the latest.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
look for ATI cards. go to newegg.com, they have some good deals, after my problems wiith geforce cards, i always use ATI, im about to upgrade mine soon

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the 7800. The 6800's "One Day Sale" was the main reason I was considering it. The 7800 theoreticly (sp) comes with a free game too . . .

Another thing, will my new comp muster BF2?

Athlon64 X2 3800+
1 gig PC3200 DDR RAM
hopefully a 7800GT
512 kb/s max speed internet (coming tomorrow!)

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
jb77714 said:
look for ATI cards. go to newegg.com, they have some good deals, after my problems wiith geforce cards, i always use ATI, im about to upgrade mine soon
I am a big ATI fanboy, but I have to admit they've been slacking in the high-end race...the x800 series just sucks as a whole, and most of them have a huge-ass fan cooler that takes up 2 extra PCI slots... :banghead

But if you can find a nice one for cheap that out-performs nVidia's 7800 series, please post it for me because I'd rather not fall to the dark side on my next card purchase :histerica

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had both in the past, in fact my last computer had a 9700 Pro. I've never had a problem with either brand, except one Nvidia card that always had drivers going outta style. Have to admit that got old quick.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Yeah nVidia hasn't had much luck on keeping their drivers up to date. I would check out http://www.omegadrivers.net/, I'm running them with my 9600xt (o/c'd to around 9800pro specs) and they are great.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i got the AIW 9800 pro last year its keeping up with todays games. just cant run everything on highest settings. but it runs them fine.

I would get the newer Ati Radeon X1800 found here
http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1800/index.html

I have a nVidia chipset, and nVidia is a bit slow with updated drivers, but ati releases new driver versions every month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts