Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in logistics and warehousing since 1990. I have seen my fair share of blood and gore.... and called 911 too many times. Driving with the forks in the air is the most dangerous thing you can do on a lift. This guy actually jumps off and tries to catch the lift while it is falling. He is lucky to be alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5lzfuh9PCQ

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
Driving way too fast, in reverse, with the forks way up in the air and not wearing the seat belt. What an idiot!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,770 Posts
Thanks for this video. I've just been placed as the forklift trainer here at work and this video will make it into my presentation! Yes he's lucky to be alive as well as his coworkers too!!!!!!!

Stand up don't have seatbeats....

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
Stand up don't have seatbeats....
He was sitting down... If it has a seat, it should have a seat belt, regardless of whether it came with one or not.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,770 Posts
He was sitting down... If it has a seat, it should have a seat belt, regardless of whether it came with one or not.
Wow....open back and sit down.... missed it. Had to re-watch as I was for sure it was a stand up. (Happened so fast as most forklift accidents do)

Yup OSHA rules state:
"OSHA's enforcement policy relative to the use of seat belts on powered industrial trucks is that employers are obligated to require operators of powered industrial trucks which are equipped with operator restraint devices or seat belts to use the devices. OSHA should enforce the use of such devices under Section 5(a)(1) of the OSH Act. "

But number one of forklift tip-overs are due to the the forks being elevated with no load on them......

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
Which begs the question of why he was doing what he was doing. Why were the forks so high? How many times has he driven over that bump? What if a baby in a stroller (lol) happened to be right there getting smashed by the mast? How stupid is he???

If this was in America, osha will have a field day!

Our old Toyota fork truck weighs 6000 lbs. Who in their right mind would think they could keep it from tipping, let alone with that much weight that high in the air.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I spent thousands of hours driving everything from 6k little forkies to the 20k clamp bugs that could pick up an 8k roll of paper 12' long and rotate it 90 degrees and then lay it on its side. They can do a lot of stuff, but that isn't one of them!!

Swamp

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Yeah, he could've hit that old grandma in the background on the upper left! (what was she doing in the warehouse anyway?)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Wow....open back and sit down.... missed it. Had to re-watch as I was for sure it was a stand up. (Happened so fast as most forklift accidents do)

Yup OSHA rules state:
"OSHA's enforcement policy relative to the use of seat belts on powered industrial trucks is that employers are obligated to require operators of powered industrial trucks which are equipped with operator restraint devices or seat belts to use the devices. OSHA should enforce the use of such devices under Section 5(a)(1) of the OSH Act. "

But number one of forklift tip-overs are due to the the forks being elevated with no load on them......
I don't think osha rules apply in Asia

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,770 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,870 Posts
I lost $5 to an old bastard that showed me how to pickup a quarter with a forklift. Ran the tiny warehouse electrics, the propane average duties and a giant one once... that was used to move a fullsize paintbooth 20 blocks. They're handy as hell but even more dangerous. My neighbor has an outdoor one setup and a few in his treasure trove shop. He's even got a damn hand-crank one I'd never seen before.

That dude was dumb... but I've seen fairly intelligent and experienced guys stick thier arm out of a window on a tipping rig out wheelin', as if they could do anything other than break the arm. Sometimes, we react before we think and in many situations, we're lucky if we live to talk about it.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,918 Posts
All the things they tell you not to do when you get your Hoisting license.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,407 Posts
I lost $5 to an old bastard that showed me how to pickup a quarter with a forklift.
Seen that before. Pretty neat!

I took the OSHA 10 class that went over fork and scissor lifts, but I'm not "licensed". Good thing it's a family business! Lol we've had our lift for 10 years or so and put a whopping 200 hours on it. It has 22 thousand hours on it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts