Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so some of yall might have noticed my sig has said "rebuilding one tons" for about 3 years. well life was weird but i have a steady job and a place to work on the truck. so it starts tomorrow.

when i brought the axles "home" to the loading dock at school. my buddy thought we could put them in his closet. seemed like it would be hard but i figured it was a deal and i couldn't pas them up.

so i tore down the rear axle first. it's getting disk brakes a la traveler from a post a long time agow
linky:
http://fourdoorbronco.com/temp/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=11;t=660

started on a dif cage to protect the rear R&P

you still get to laugh at me learning to TIG weld

that was about 2.5 years agow. when i was back in NY and had access to a machine shop.

after that everything got put on hold wile i moved around (back to Texas) and earned money. more pics tomorrow when i pull the truck back into the garage and get pics of all my parts and get the rear axle off.

if yall are still reading this is gunna be a really slow swap. i'm extending 79' arms, H1's, 38" boggers, detroit and 5.13's in the rear. the front is just getting put under the truck and i'll do the gears, ARB, driveshaft, rebuild later.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so updates for today...

get wood to go under the jackstands... not sure if 5.5 inches of extra height on the tallest harbor freight stands is gunna be enough.

finish welded my roof rack mounts, had to remake the front mounts too. didn't have any paint so i'll have to do that tomorrow. (all the paint is at the storage garage.

went to take the rear axle out and found the shock bolts are diferent side to side wtf. and i can't figure out how to get the parking brake cable out of the drum.wtf again.

i need:
- another set of tall stands to get the front end out. i shouldn't need them after i get the rear end together though.
- leaf spring mounts.
- new shackles, i think i'm just gunna make these.
- bushings, should i replace them wile i have everything apart? will it actually make a difference in how it handles?

sterling all cleaned up. i'll put some shock mounts on it later

end of day one

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
- bushings, should i replace them wile i have everything apart? will it actually make a difference in how it handles?
yes, there pretty cheap, and considered youll need new bushing if you make new shackles, might as well spend the extra $20 for new leaf spring bushings, preferably polyurethane ones... The last thing you want is to have to pull it all apart to change them out later on down the road...

Another option for the jack stands, go buy some concrete blocks and just stack them up.. Not the safest thing, but ive done some shady ghetto-rig stuff.

What size lift are you shooting for anyway?
Other then that good luck with the build.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol the sign. apparently the guy in charge of that building was trying to figure out who (of the employs) left those there. and had told one of the guys on the school racing team(that i was part of) that he was gunna throw them away if they weren't gone the next day. so i made a sign with my number and left them there for a week.

i'm gunna mess with the parking brake cable later and just get the rear end torn down after i head to harbor freight to get another set of jack stands. i hate spending the $$ on them but i need to get it up high enough so i can take the axles out and not have to worry about it being tall enough to get the new stuff in. and i can't barrow a set soon enough. no more updates till the weekend.

o yea old super flex springs i think. i'm building the front end with 7* bushings so i can switch to cage arms if i want in the future without having to redo the axle mounts.

do yall think 9/16 through bolts that the 2.5 inch johnny joints go with are strong enough for a fullsize?

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
do yall think 9/16 through bolts that the 2.5 inch johnny joints go with are strong enough for a fullsize?[/QUOTE]

I am going to use those joints for my Radius arms and track bar. Going to make all mounting points double sheer. I don't see a problem with 9/16th bolt with double sheer mount.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok weekend progress. first
EVERYONE READING THIS GO LOOK AT YOUR REAR FACTORY BLOCKS!!!
both of mine were cracked. the passengers side literally broke into two pieces when it hit the ground!!!

my g/f helped me out for a few hours on saterday. everything goes so much faster when you have someone getting tools for you. thanks sweetie.

cracked block from drivers side.

broken block from passenger's side.

i got the cable out. it was easy after i figured out how. that being said i didn't even bother on the other side and just took the cables loose at the frame.

got the u bolts off. they all unbolted nicely with the use of impact. make sure to take the shocks loose before taking the springs loose. the shocks will limit down travel.

all the bolts on the leaf springs are rusted solid to the bushings. gotta go order new bushings when i go order my tires tomorrow maybe.

she said, "it looks like it's castrated."

got my other set of HF 12 ton jack stands. started to take apart the front, brake, shocks, spring retainer, and i bent my pickle fork all to hell trying to get the TRE loose from the pitman arm.

in the back i ended up cutting the shackle in half, and i still can't get the leaf spring free from the front hanger. the shackle was a loss anyway. it's about 1/8 thick now. the front hanger is good though so i need a good way to get the bolt out of the bushing so i can sand blast everything. any ideas?

o yea having 3 grinders is sooo helpful. if you need a cutting wheel it's right there, grinding wheel, wire brush. i'm getting another to put my flap wheels on.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I know what you mean about the grinders, I just bought my second and am waiting to catch a third on sale. Swap looks good. Im thinking of using 2.5" johnny joints also for extended 79 arms. Im curious to see how that works out for you, so get to it ok? :thumbup

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
You're right about those factory shims breaking; I was shocked one time to find one of mine busted in half like that too. I've got a spare one that rides around in my wheeling tool box right now because of that.

·
Billdo
2,191 Posts
You're right about those factory shims breaking; I was shocked one time to find one of mine busted in half like that too. I've got a spare one that rides around in my wheeling tool box right now because of that.
i sheared the pins off both of mine and bent all four u bolts i didnt know this was a common problem.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so i went to lowes today to look at a 9/16" bolt next to a 3/4" bolt. it's my opinion that the 9/16" are too small. so i'm narrowing down the joints i'm gunna use. also got to go pick up my recentered H1's. probly no more updates till after i bring the D60 back on sunday.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i had the same problem with the bolts being froze in the leaf springs. IIRC it took a lot of heat and either a oxy acet. torch or plasma to get them out. it sucked period. my suggestion would be a thin cutoff wheel, shove it inbetween the hanger and spring on each side. Or try burning out the bushing....

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
are you going to be able to get it out of the garage after you are done...:doh0715:
You laugh, but I have seen this happen befor. Hell it happened to mr. Ford himself.

Had to remove bricks from either side of his garage to get one of his first cars out of the shop.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,492 Posts
lol - my truck probably won't fit on the way out if we didn't get some rollers with my dad's 1 tons. They are 16" rims with low pro car tires on them - I cann't wait to take a pic of them on the 78 with 6" of lift :rofl:

1 - 20 of 195 Posts