Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On every cold start like clock work the 5.8 will fire after slightly extended crank time stumble and usually die. upon restart she sounds like a little kitty all balled up purring in front of a fireplace in late December. Sorry a little fruity! Anyway I have checked fuel system from fuel filter to motor. One evening I clamped the fuel supply line aft of filter after a warm shutdown and the next day she fired and ran with the slightest hesitation very very slight. Are we talkin check valve in pump. If it is the check valve, does it render purchase of new pump.? And how common is it for a failed check valve. Oh by the way the driver My wife always runs the damn thing to empty I mean RED EMPTY ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. has for a year. I will never get through to her. I did replace fuel filter again and the next day the start was iffy at best a little better though. I checked coolant temp sensor, cleaned IAC, TPS, etc.:banghead

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
On every cold start like clock work the 5.8 will fire after slightly extended crank time stumble and usually die. upon restart she sounds like a little kitty all balled up purring in front of a fireplace in late December. Sorry a little fruity! Anyway I have checked fuel system from fuel filter to motor. One evening I clamped the fuel supply line aft of filter after a warm shutdown and the next day she fired and ran with the slightest hesitation very very slight. Are we talkin check valve in pump. If it is the check valve, does it render purchase of new pump.? And how common is it for a failed check valve. Oh by the way the driver My wife always runs the damn thing to empty I mean RED EMPTY ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. has for a year. I will never get through to her. I did replace fuel filter again and the next day the start was iffy at best a little better though. I checked coolant temp sensor, cleaned IAC, TPS, etc.:banghead
Fuel pump is probably trashed if she runs it that low on gas frequently. People don't realize that the gas in the tank actually acts as a lubricant for the pump. Do you hear it prime when you turn the key over to ON?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely hear the pump prime, I know fuel lubes and cools the pump, but as I figure it, its most likely the sludge that has started to trash the pump. I show 28 psi on fuel rail running, leak down is fine for atleast 15 min. Pull the vac. from regulator and press. increase max is 4 psi which tells me the regulator is on its last legs, but I know thats not the hard start issue. So do we agree her problem is most likely originating tank side whether check valve or pump. What kind of pressure should I show KOEO and KOER if I put press. gauge after pump before filter. But as n e ford owner knows I always hear that pump running and it sounds good. So I will splice press. gauge inline after tank and see what values I get. Can I even splice it? We have the exterior braided fuel line. Another thing is gauge on rail KOEO I have to cycle ignition switch a couple of times (before filter replacement the other day) to even start reading pressure on rail gauge. I guess just cause you hear pump doesn't mean its doing its job. Its just confusing to see 28-30 psi while running and to think pump is bad. Thats why I think press. leak down do to check valve. Hence the decent start when I clamped fuel line on tank side of filter overnite. I need to replace shrader valve on rail, I think its leaking too. I hope that hasnt been the issue the whole time, HAHAHA. I think i would burn the B-ronc. Is it a standard shrader valve? Thanks guys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts