Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

I am from paraguay , and since a a few weeks proud owner of one of the two remaining bronco xlt s , mine still has the original engine winsor 351 engine and was build in 1992, she comes with an additional liquid gas tank . I bought her from a rally team who have no use for her anymore . I used to collect watches and when I saw the bronco It was love at first side , i exchanged her for a rolex submariner . I especially took up driving lessons to enjoy the purchase , my knowledge of cars is zero .

current status

The current state of the bronco is engine works , she drives , lights works , brakes works , 4x4 function I am not sure , , on the dashboard only the rpm , the odometer , the battery meter, signal lights works , the rest is not of the meters are not connected or not working. The engine check light is always on , and the rear abs light is always on .

Transmission

Automatic transmission , work. I have not tried the 1st and second gear yet, when driving on petrol she makes a bump , when driving on liquid gas the tranny works smooth with out bumps

I have decided to invest money in my new bronco and find a good mechanic to help me out only I have no idea where to start , or to begin , any sugestions and tips are welcome . Mind you all I do not have acces to so many supplies as you all do , but I figured there are a lot of ford pick up trucks driving around in paraguay , so i can get spare parts from those

Regards ,

Bronco py

·
My Bronco Isn't My Only
1,014 Posts
Pretty nice ride brother.
That's pretty cool that you're one of two Bronco owners in your country :thumbup
Traded a Rolex for a Bronco, I say you got a good deal my friend, given the amount of Broncos left in your country!

As far as the gauges go, try searching for the individual gauge names (i.e. temperature gauge), but I'd say try checking the fuses. Pull 'em and look at them and see if they look like they're either burnt on the end or broken inside.

Check engine light, I'd say buy a code reader or do a search on how to pull codes without one.

ABS light, check the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir (it'll look something like this).

Aren't petrol and gas the same thing? That's strange that your transmission works better with different types of fuel...

As 4drbronko said, similar year F-series trucks are the same from the door jam forward :thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi wutang thanks for your reply , she has two tanks the primary tanks which runs on super fuel , and the second tank which runs on liquid gas or LPG , there is a switch to choose which tank to use , liquid gas is much cheaper but consumes more . The other bronco , is fully restored except when the owner bought it and and on the same day took it from interior to the city of asuncion , he blew the engine and had it replace it with a 4 cilinder custom made engine. Like wise I am very worried the same will happen to mine .

Cheers ,

Bronco py

·
My Bronco Isn't My Only
1,014 Posts
Hi wutang thanks for your reply , she has two tanks the primary tanks which runs on super fuel , and the second tank which runs on liquid gas or LPG , there is a switch to choose which tank to use , liquid gas is much cheaper but consumes more . The other bronco , is fully restored except when the owner bought it and and on the same day took it from interior to the city of asuncion , he blew the engine and had it replace it with a 4 cilinder custom made engine. Like wise I am very worried the same will happen to mine .

Cheers ,

Bronco py
Not sure what you mean by "super fuel", then again I've never heard of a stock Bronco that has dual tanks; not saying they didn't make them, just that I'm unfamiliar.
I know that they did make some different things for Broncos outside of the US so that may be the case.

A 4 cylinder FS Bronco? Ick, that just screams bad idea to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you can read English easily, and comprehend it well, then I suggest first buying a Chilton or Haynes repair manual. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chilton-Ford-Pick-ups-and-Bronco-1987-96-Repair-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ead30019eQQitemZ200474100126QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

The introduction written for each section will give you a simple explanation of how each system works: like brakes, or engine, or whatever. The manual also has illustrations and step by step instructions to guide you. If you are willing to invest your time to read it and work on it, you can do MOST of the repairs needed all by yourself ... which can save a lot of $$$. The wiring and gauge issues for example, the book has wiring diagrams that you can use to track down where your problem is, and if its a faulty part, like a switch, most of those can be taken out of an F150 or F250 truck from the same years.

As far as your engine blowing up, you just need to check your regular maintenance and tune-up items regularly. Change the oil and don't abuse the truck and she should run well for a long time. The transmission should be an "E4OD" or Electronic 4-speed automatic with Over Drive. That transmission requires you to change the fluid and filter every 12K miles (or whatever the hell that is in kilometers).

Cars are not complex things, if you are willing to invest your time to read, understand, and get your hands dirty fixing and figuring them out. If you ever get stuck, you can come here and ask for advice, and having a digital camera around to post pictures of your issue can help greatly as well.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The transmission should be an "E4OD" or Electronic 4-speed automatic with Over Drive. That transmission requires you to change the fluid and filter every 12K miles (or whatever the hell that is in kilometers).
About 20 k km...

Welcome.. and congrats..

Going out on a limb, if you raise the compression the engine, different pistons, and give up on the idea of petrol, and just run on the liquid gas, consumption will go down...

Gogle it....:popc1:

·
My Bronco Isn't My Only
1,014 Posts
Here super was leaded petrol (but is long gone now), is that what it means in Paraguay?
I thought the only area that still used leaded gasoline within the last 20 years was some African countries?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts