Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the last bolt coming out, the oil pump and drive shaft both fell into the pan.

I did NOT get a look at the shaft before it fell so after I fished it out of the pan, I see a "cup shaped" keeper kind of thing near one end. Does this keeper go up into the engine or down at the pump?

I am doing this oil pump and pickup tube change in pretty much the hardest way I think but I'll get it done.

Thanks folks!

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
405 Posts
The keeper end goes up into the block toward the distributor. This keeps the oil pump shaft in the oil pump if you pull the distributor.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The keeper end goes up into the block toward the distributor. This keeps the oil pump shaft in the oil pump if you pull the distributor.
Thank You!!!!:beer

Spent enough time today doing this...:banghead

Just got the top layers of grease and oil scraped off so I'm calling it a day. I be well recovered by morning and then it's back at it...:banghead

One more little question, is it better to slip the drive shaft up into the block and just use a rubber band to hold it in place before trying to mount the pump? or, put the drive shaft in the pump and try to get them both up there at the same time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would pull the distributor. Put the pump drive shaft into the pump (making sure its in the right way) and bolt the oil pump back up. Then put the distributor back in and your good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts