Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wonderinng if there was a way to identify whether a carrier is either a limited slip or an open jus by looking at it. Ive got this rear and im going to take the lunch box locker out and i dont know if it was a limited slip or an open before it was locked, all the guts are removed because of the ez-locker.

thanx,
bill

·
Registered
447 Posts
A limited slip should have H9 on the door jamb sticker and a tag on one of the bolts on the rear diff with an L or LS in the number.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
If your talking about not knowing the axle code and just only haveing the carrier in front of you. For a l/s, it should have clutches in it. Other than that Im not sure what you mean. Do you have the truck itself or just the axle by its lonsome?

KC

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well for one the truck came factory with a limited slip but that rear i just swapped out (it died). i bought a rear with 456s and an ezlocker installed but the locker is acting up so i want to return the carrier back to what ever it was stock. I just want to know if there is a way to identify whether it was open or limited slip by looking at the carrier itself, because the guts (clutches and spider gears) arent in it but instead there is a ez locker in there place.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Does it really matter? I think a ford ls fits no matter what if thats what you mean? I would say it doesn't matter as long as the spline count is the same and the gear ratio is the same as the front and is made for the right size axle. I'm pretty sure a ls8.8 is the same as a open8.8 if that is what your talking about. I have never heard otherwise.

kC

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it really matter? I think a ford ls fits no matter what if thats what you mean? I would say it doesn't matter as long as the spline count is the same and the gear ratio is the same as the front and is made for the right size axle. I'm pretty sure a ls8.8 is the same as a open8.8 if that is what your talking about. I have never heard otherwise.

kC
thats kind of what im wondering, i was told in a previous topic that if i were to swap in a factory trac loc limited slip into what was already a limited slip rear i would have no problem but if it was an open carrier id have to reset my gears and vice versa.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Ok I see what you mean now. Not sure if there is a way other than if you have a tag on the axle that should tell you, other than that I am unsure if there is a way to tell. Depending on which way you go, you may as well plan on having to set the gears up.

EDIT: I am unsure, but from what I understand about lunchbox lockers is that all they do is replace the side gears. So I would assume that it is an open carrier, but accpet that answer as a grain of salt ;)

Hope that helps, but agian, I dont have a lot of knowledge about the lunchbox lockers and all.

KC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts