Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now I'll admit I am wishy-washy sometimes and this is one of those times.

I own my own business, I have a wife, a 3 y/o and one on the way and I'm trying to buy a house.

NOW, if you had VERY LITTLE MONEY to repair/replace parts (transmission, drivetrain parts esp.) would you reccomend an FSB like my '94? I don't want to sound stupid and I may get ripped on for even asking this but I'm a dad and need to do what's "best" for my family etc.

I often use my Bronco for yardwork, pulling stumps, etc., as a DD (work VERY close to home) and it's a very useable vehicle. I'd like to know if things like the E4OD's are more likely to fail than other transmissions, if parts are as readily available and comparable in price etc.

Are 90's FS Fords more or less likely to leave me stranded than other used fullsizes like Dodge, Chevy etc. I don't want to part with it above all.

Right now I can only have ONE truck and it needs to be a 4x4.

I'd just like a little feedback on what you guys have noticed

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think its much better to replace a transmission then have another car payment....I don't see anything wrong with the E40D as long as you take care of it...I wouldnt trade my Bronco for anything else. I always liked them when I was a kid growing up. I drive mine to work everyday round trip of about 40 miles. This is with 1 ton running gear, lockers, 37's blah...blah...blah....the gas mileage doesnt bother me I get around 8 to 9 miles per gallon and still wouldnt trade it for a economy. It has lots of room for when my wife and I travel, especially now since our Boxer is getting big...we all wont fit in her little mazda pickup...plus big Broncos are much safer if we were to be in a wreck versus being in a little car. I think if you take care of it and keep everything maintained you shouldn't have many issues that you cant fix yourself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been thinking about selling my 2004 Nissan Quest to get rid of the $500 monthly payment. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger that I use for my daily commute. My Bronco sits for the most part. My wife could drive it since it's just sitting in the driveway with new parts from tires, wheels, exhaust, shocks and a bunch of new engine parts. She said she would gladly drive it to take the kids to school in but there is some part of me that likes having a backup car.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Even if in a worst case scenario you did have to replace the trans the cost would be only equal to a couple of months of vehicle payments.

A Bronco I believe is as good or better than anything else out there. If you want to scare yourself read the boards for other vehicles. You will find anything else has problems too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree, the Bronco is a solid vehicle. The parts are easy to get and they are easier to fix than todays cars and trucks. I told my wife I wanted to keep mine until my 5 year old was old enough to drive. She looked at me like I was crazy but it should be just about done by then! :)

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
As the others have said, sure it may hurt your wallet from time to time, but what else won't? Nothing is perfect you know :toothless

Also, you may as well enjoy what you drive, I'd hate to pay for a car or truck I didn't like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
e4od's suck when they are behind a commercial diesel truck, take my word for it. i' ve had plenty of practice shoving a jasper trans in them with lightning speed. as far as behind a gaser in a bronco....pretty good. mines on 83k with no probs, including snowplowing with it for the past 5 years.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I bought my bronco with 208xxx miles on it. the motor had about 40xxx it was a reman engine. now the po didn't say anything about the tranny being serviced since he had so i assume that it had 208xxx when i bought it. it has 250xxx miles on it now but that might be off as i change odometers for wheel size i run 35's in the summer and 33's in the winter so realistic it should be around 270xxx or so. i drive it to work which is 50 miles round trip so i put about 250 to 300 miles a week and i've never had any issues with it.i also take my bronco to new york to see my son which is about 800 mile round trip at least 3 to 4 times a year and i havent hesitated since i bought it other then gas mileage but dont stop me from taking it regardless of what tires i use, i did add a tranny cooler this summer but not cause i had issues just did to be cautious cause it is expensive to repair

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Well if the truck is paid for i say keep it. i would rather pay 1800 for a rebuilt tranny as opposed to 2 or 300 dollars a month on a new truck. that just me. mine is a dd and it is a 94 and i have 186000 miles on the tranny. take care of it and change the fluid and you will be good to go.

ken

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
the enemy of the e4od, as with most any transmission, is heat. the stock cooler just isn't up to the task, especially in heavier duty applications, such as towing, summer heat, wheeling, etc.

i have a '96 that i use as a dd, and also wheel. i blew my tranny at 70K, however i was wheeling the snot out of it in the sticky heat of a tennessee summer. my advice to you would be, regardless of how it's used, to invest $100 in an aftermarket tranny cooler such as permacool, b&m, etc. (you can search on here for either one and how to install it), and if you got a few extra bucks, also put in a shift kit. the aftermarket coooler is just cheap insurance and should pay dividends to you in long tranny life. i spent $4000 rebuilding mine, but it hardly has the same stock parts in it, everything's been upgraded significantly. a regular rebuild will probably cost you, like mentioned above, about $1800.

the bko is NOT a honda, but with regular maintenance, shouldn't let you down. like anything else, you let stuff slide, it will bite you sooner or later. i have never regretted buying mine (ok, possibly the one time the tranny blew, driving it back home, stuck in 2nd gear at 45 mph from tennessee 1000 miles, but that was the only time :toothless ). good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, this is very good. You guys didn't flame me at all and answered honestly, thank you.

My transmission has almost 200k on it but it was a police vehicle and I picture trans service being done at some point. It shows no sign of slippage and has a factory cooler on it. Heck, the engine oil was still clear when I changed it at 3.5 k instead of 3k. I paid $850.00 for this thing so yes, having NO payments is very nice.

I read that I should go check out other vehicle forums and that is a great point. By only reading FSB, you get the impression that they break down only between sun-up and sun-down :histerica but the truth is that EVERYTHING breaks down from time to time.

Everything has it's plusses and minuses right? I was just thinking back to the GM 2.8, the early TH700 etc. you know, the crap (or so I've heard) that made it out into the market and was wondering if there was any kind of reputation I didn't know about circulating around from truck guys (other than the Found On Road Dead types).

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
jackhart said:
the bko is NOT a hyundia
Fixed it for ya Dave. :rockon

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
1994XEP said:
Everything has it's plusses and minuses right? I was just thinking back to the GM 2.8, the early TH700 etc. you know, the crap (or so I've heard) that made it out into the market and was wondering if there was any kind of reputation I didn't know about circulating around from truck guys (other than the Found On Road Dead types).
One thing of note is you did miss many factory E4OD upgrades by one year, 1995. I had a 95 F250, 460 that pulled my broncs all over for 6 years. Put almost 40K miles of almost pure towing (about 8600lbs) on that E4OD. I did have 2 monster coolers on it. I did have it rebuilt (for kicks) near 100K by a buddy who owned an AMMCO, but only cause he did it for spit.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I got the original E4OD and it works great....I know it is a time bomb, and that soon will be time to change or rebuild, but what the hey, thats what you do with old trucks...all in all, me likey.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts