Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Which?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to either fall in love with the Bronco again or get divorced and move on.
Bought a complete donor truck (91 F350) for motor and trans swap and to have all suspension parts to do axle swap/SAS in my 90 Bronco. Life happens and I'm still working on it, but ran across a complete axle set from an 04 SD that's reasonable sounding in price. About to start in the last push to finish this rig and am asking...
If you had the choice between a KP D60 or a BJ D60 SD...which would you choose? Not going to wheel like I used to...but figure to need the solid axle for the diesel that's in it now. I'm sure there would be someone out in internet land to buy my other axles so the cost of either swap shouldn't really be a factor.
I'm on the fence but maybe slightly leaning toward the SD axles if I had to pick right now.

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
165 Posts
King pins better!! Ball joints better!! blah blah blah. Whatever works for you.

04 SD check to make sure it's not a dana 50 and that it's a d60. I can't quote the change over year. But both will be fine if you already have a set go with them. If you really want coil sprung super duty d60 get them. I have spent good money on things I didn't really want just to get what I really wanted later because I didn't want to spend the money. Spent twice as much in the end.

Bud

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
OBS axles!
1. You have it AND (I assume) the 10.25"
2. 10.25" will bolt in and hook up to VSS (if your 90 has it and the 91 F350 has it).
3. Better aftermarket parts available for OBS axles
4. OBS D60 has serviceable wheel bearings
5. You have most of the other parts you need (steering and suspension components/ leaf springs).

·
Registered
324 Posts
You have the OBS axles just use those, plenty strong for what your gunna do.

·
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
both are complete f&r steering, springs, etc.
sure they'll both work fine. 3.73 vs 4.11 not much diff. there...
choices. Ha.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Sell it to me :p

If it was me, id go with a 92-97 balljoint D60, it will handle better than with the kingpin axle. Preferably the 95-97 as it uses a bolt-on caliper, as opposed to the 92-94 axles that use one with sliding retaining pins.

You didnt say what your plans for SAS are. If leaf sprung then no debate, use the OBS axle as itll practically bolt in at that point. But be prepared to change kingpins, bushings, springs, etc to get it to handle good on the highway. And changing kingpins sucks.

I like the idea of staying with the OBS axle, as it keeps all your vehicles the same lug pattern. Its the primary reason i havent upgraded to SD axles in any of mine, i like having one set of small rollers that i can use on any one of them.

·
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a leaf swap deal. coil would be nice but its gonna be a flat land type rig now. Occassional mud snow and a mountain trail rarely.
for the 8 lug stuff I have a few SD 8 lug rigs.

thanks for the opinions...

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
OBS D60 if you have the donor. They are not cheap to buy at all! SD axles are cheaper. SD axles have rear disc brakes (10.5). SD axles have more wheel choices for on road. There is an early 10.25 and later 10.25. Later 10.25 is 94-97. The pinion was longer; stronger design.

·
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds like you'd have spares to share. Hmmm....
Thought had crossed my mind.
Rear disc gives it an advantage...over the ones I got. Serviceable bearings are nice, but I got 210K from my trucks original unit bearing assembly.....

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
for the 8 lug stuff I have a few SD 8 lug rigs.
IMO that changes things.

The SD stuff is pretty nice, and the updated unit bearings are pretty beefy. The SD knuckles are a lot stronger than the kingpin ones as well. If you already have rigs running SD axles then id go that route. Im staying 8on6.5 because after building 3 rigs, ive got lots of spare parts that interchange between the three. No major strength gain on the 10.5 vs the 10.25, but the OEM discs are pretty nice.
That kingpin axle will sell for a decent price; out here youd be able to sell it, buy a pair of SD axles and still have a decent chunk of change left over.

·
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went and made a deal for the set up. Get this weekend.

I'll list the older axle set once I can get photos.

Reactions: Bronkzilla

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,621 Posts
If it were an 05+ SD axle, id say do it. But 04 and back i would have kept looking. Really for your application, any one ton axle would work just fine.

KP D60 in good shape is worth over 1000 bucks. I sold a BJ D60 recently for 600, but it was a rusty MFer. Guy is putting it under a 95 F250 CCSB PSD.

There is a complete KP D60 on the KC Craigslist for 1500. It has been on there for MONTHS.

I know you said you'll be doing little offroad, but i recommend at least looking at the '11+ superduty rear electric locker. They can be had for around 600, new.

·
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my trailer this morning. Going to start clearing out the extra junk that grew up under the rig while it sat in the garage.

@Bronkzilla thanks for sending motivation my direction. Miss ya brutha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts