Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1991 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0 302 V8

Engine:

Ford Racing GT-40 Cylinder Heads $479.95 (Gonna Try and find at Salvage Yard/Exploder) (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-X306)

Comp Cams 1054-16 $385.99 (http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/1054-16/10002/-1)

ARP Hi-Performance Head Bolt Kits
154-3601 $38.99 (http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/154-3601/10002/-1)

Fel-Pro Wire Ring Cylinder Head Gaskets (2)
$37.99 (http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel+Pro/375/1011-2/10002/-1)

Stock Intake Manifold

Summit racing truck Headers
$144.95 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9035/Application/?query=Year|1991|Make|FORD|Model|BRONCO&prefilter=1

Exhaust:

Catco Catalytic Converters + Y-Pipe
$248.99 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-9303/?rtype=10)

Cherrybomb Glasspack (Reuse my current glasspack)

Straight pipe the rest.

Does anyone see a problem with this stuff?

EDIT: Updated it, the Catco is simple bolt on right? I need Reducers or anything for these Aftermarket headers?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, meant to add, what Headers do you 302 guys run? Anyone know some good shorties?

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
why not find a cheap 351 and build a useful motor for a 5000lbs truck?

Also, you are aware that intake manifold is for a carb application, and you have EFI.....

·
Registered
664 Posts
x2 on the 351W, and i used some shorty headers for a mustang 302 and modified a EGR tube. Found them brand new on craigslist for 40$

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, let me start by saying that just because it is aftermarket, and expensive, doesn't mean it is necessarily "better" for your situation ... or even just better in general. Ford designed our trucks for good reliability for a reason, its no fun owning a vehicle you have to constantly work on.

The three biggest components that are going to make a real noticeable difference on an engine, are: heads, cam, intake. The other parts just compliment those, as your list suggests. The engine being just a big air pump, I too, as others have suggested, recommend investing in a 351 instead. It might be the better route to getting better "performance". Then down the road, buy all the hot parts you want for that one? Just an idea ...

From owning and building cars the biggest thing I have learned over the years is: *unless the factory designed part has a reliability flaw, it probably isn't worth the money or effort to replace it*. For example you plan on spending $600 bucks on some headers that yes, will increase power ... BUT, will also require rechecking bolts, and dealing with blown header/collector gaskets, etc etc. Sometimes you just create more work for the miniscule gains made from the mod. In a 'racing' setting it makes sense because every bit counts, but in owning a truck you sometimes want to drive across state lines, that cool mod can be more headache than gain! I can appreciate you wanting to make more power, but I think saving a little more money and buying these parts for a bigger vacuum pump (engine) might be the better solution in the long run.

To each his own though, so you do what you want with your money. If it was me, I would buy a good 351, or 383 stroker kit and slap it in a Bronco with stock manifolds and exhaust, lol. Buy the good stuff later. Good luck with whatever route you go.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, let me start by saying that just because it is aftermarket, and expensive, doesn't mean it is necessarily "better" for your situation ... or even just better in general. Ford designed our trucks for good reliability for a reason, its no fun owning a vehicle you have to constantly work on.

The three biggest components that are going to make a real noticeable difference on an engine, are: heads, cam, intake. The other parts just compliment those, as your list suggests. The engine being just a big air pump, I too, as others have suggested, recommend investing in a 351 instead. It might be the better route to getting better "performance". Then down the road, buy all the hot parts you want for that one? Just an idea ...

From owning and building cars the biggest thing I have learned over the years is: *unless the factory designed part has a reliability flaw, it probably isn't worth the money or effort to replace it*. For example you plan on spending $600 bucks on some headers that yes, will increase power ... BUT, will also require rechecking bolts, and dealing with blown header/collector gaskets, etc etc. Sometimes you just create more work for the miniscule gains made from the mod. In a 'racing' setting it makes sense because every bit counts, but in owning a truck you sometimes want to drive across state lines, that cool mod can be more headache than gain! I can appreciate you wanting to make more power, but I think saving a little more money and buying these parts for a bigger vacuum pump (engine) might be the better solution in the long run.

To each his own though, so you do what you want with your money. If it was me, I would buy a good 351, or 383 stroker kit and slap it in a Bronco with stock manifolds and exhaust, lol. Buy the good stuff later. Good luck with whatever route you go.
I have gotten this same response from 2 well known Mustang shops. Especially the lecture about the headers. They told me to go with a 5.0 HO motor, as they are cheap and offer lots of power. The only advantage to going more cubic inches is you can make the same power with less performance, which should equal more reliability.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

Engine swapping is not an option. Must retain the original engine.

What do you suggest for building a 302 "the right way" where I can blow the doors off of Stangs and Camaros?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
What do you suggest for building a 302 "the right way" where I can blow the doors off of Stangs and Camaros?
Sell the truck and buy a sports car. :histerica

Seriously, Its gonna take a LOT of work to "Blow the doors off of 'Stangs and camaros.

Remember only 96- (early)97 5.0 Explorers had GT-40 heads. 98-01 Ex's had GT-40P heads. You'll need different headers if you run the "P" head.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm prepared for alot of work. :p

I'm always keeping an eye open for a Camaro as well. ;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know that this is the “noob” section and we are not supposed to flame but, your Bronco is something in the 5,300 LB range and has the aerodynamics of a brick.
The drive train that your truck came with was setup for off road use, “torque over Horsepower” kind of mindset.
If you do plan on beating the pony cars, you might want to open up your wallet.
Just to give you some number to run with, the 2001 SVT lightning can run the 1/4 mile in 13.9 seconds.
Now, that is very fast for a pickup truck.
This particular truck weighs in at about 1000 LBS less than the stock Bronco.
It is also 380 HP compared to your 185 or so that you are going to be starting with.
The general rule of thumb is that you can gain 1/10th second for every 100 LBS that you can lose. So, you need to put the truck on a diet.
If you can do away with 1000 LBS, you will weigh the same as a 2001 lightning and you should (in theory) gain 1 second in the ¼ mile.
Now, keep in mind that you are running close to 18 seconds in the ¼ mile already so now, in theory, you are somewhere in the 17 second range.
Now we need to start adding horsepower.
In the late 80’s the Mustang GT was running somewhere in the high 14’s to low 15’s but, lets say the mid 14’s for a clean, well maintained stock 5.0 LX Mustang.
You need to find a full four seconds somewhere in your rig.
Since you are pretty insistent on keeping your existing 5 liter, you will need to do some SERIOUS work to the engine to grab the numbers you are looking for.
For starters, you need to make the engine breath. Complete rework of the entire intake and exhaust system is in the works for you.
Expect to drop five to six thousand dollars in fuel injectors, throttle body, high flow fuel pump, intake manifold. Then you would need a total exhaust system. And then, reprogram your ECU.
All of that, combined with a strong turbo setup should be no more than $10,000 or so.
Of course, we need to get all that power to the ground so, a torque converter and a transmission rebuild is in the works. That should be another 4-5 grand.
Then we need a race prepped 9 inch rear end to handle the 550 HP you are putting out.
All of that SHOULD put you into the 12’s for a pass or two until something breaks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

Engine swapping is not an option. Must retain the original engine.

You are daydreaming if you think a 4500+ pound 4X4 truck is going to "blow the doors off" of a little Mustang that has essentialy the same engine as yours. Same goes for a Camaro....or anything else that has a simular power/weight ratio. Heck, even with the mods you've outlined, there's 4-cyl rice burners running around out there that would still outrun your 5.0 truck.
About all you could do there is run some realy big heads along with some sort of high-boost forced-air induction and the proper cam & exhaust to go with it. But to stick them things onto a (used) stock motor?....Even if you could afford it and even if you had enough knowlage to make it run, you'd afterwards be measuring it's life span in minutes rather than in miles.

So just going from your "engine swapping is not an option", I'm thinking that you either need to get a bit more realistic with your goals or a lot more realistic in how to acheive them. Trading your truck for a Mustang comes to mind.

DGW

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
the only way that would happen is if you came up on a v6 or I4

Build a 347 stroker and a transmission that can back up the power

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are daydreaming if you think a 4500+ pound 4X4 truck is going to "blow the doors off" of a little Mustang that has essentialy the same engine as yours. Same goes for a Camaro....or anything else that has a simular power/weight ratio. Heck, even with the mods you've outlined, there's 4-cyl rice burners running around out there that would still outrun your 5.0 truck.
About all you could do there is run some realy big heads along with some sort of high-boost forced-air induction and the proper cam & exhaust to go with it. But to stick them things onto a (used) stock motor?....Even if you could afford it and even if you had enough knowlage to make it run, you'd afterwards be measuring it's life span in minutes rather than in miles.

So just going from your "engine swapping is not an option", I'm thinking that you either need to get a bit more realistic with your goals or a lot more realistic in how to acheive them. Trading your truck for a Mustang comes to mind.

DGW
Course it was a dream list, I posted it here for responses.
I CAN NOT swap the engine, I just can't. I would in any other vehicle BUT this FSB. I want it faster though. Faster then your everyday 351/350 with some mods. Plus, a Pro-Stock drag racing sound would be awesome.

I hate Mustangs, they are just too ugly, I'll buy my Camaro someday.

347 Stroker, sell kits to build my 302 up to that?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Course it was a dream list, I posted it here for responses.
I CAN NOT swap the engine, I just can't. I would in any other vehicle BUT this FSB. I want it faster though. Faster then your everyday 351/350 with some mods. Plus, a Pro-Stock drag racing sound would be awesome.

I hate Mustangs, they are just too ugly, I'll buy my Camaro someday.

347 Stroker, sell kits to build my 302 up to that?

a pro stock Bronco drag racer huh? sure it can be done... anything can be done with enough money to throw at it... anyways, care to elaborate on why you just cant swap engines in your FSB? you are going to be taking it out to rebuild, so why cant another block be put in its place? Anyways you can build up your motor as bad as you want it to be, but around 600hp your 302 block is gonna part like the red sea... but long before you get there, you will be destroying other parts of your drivetrain, constantly finding one weakness after another... my suggestion is that you race those mustangs and camaros in the mud, somewhere off road where you have the advantage... then you can blow their doors off...

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a pro stock Bronco drag racer huh? sure it can be done... anything can be done with enough money to throw at it... anyways, care to elaborate on why you just cant swap engines in your FSB? you are going to be taking it out to rebuild, so why cant another block be put in its place? Anyways you can build up your motor as bad as you want it to be, but around 600hp your 302 block is gonna part like the red sea... but long before you get there, you will be destroying other parts of your drivetrain, constantly finding one weakness after another... my suggestion is that you race those mustangs and camaros in the mud, somewhere off road where you have the advantage... then you can blow their doors off...

Not necessarily Pro-Stock, but faster, louder and better.

I have wanted this particular Bronco since I was little, my grandfather bought it new in the factory with every option he wanted, premium everything just about. For some reason he went 302. His 96 Bronco he has is a 351w but this is a 302...

He promised me the Bronco when I was young and after I destroyed my S10 Blazer he gave me the Bronco. The only rule he set down is that I never swap the engine, I said that was ok... He handed me the keys and title right then and there. The ONLY reason I can't swap the engine is because of my grandfather. Well, one more rule, if I ever tire of the Bronco or want to sell it or something I have to go to him first; he said he would buy it back no matter the cost... He has a deep emotional attachment to this truck.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Not necessarily Pro-Stock, but faster, louder and better.

I have wanted this particular Bronco since I was little, my grandfather bought it new in the factory with every option he wanted, premium everything just about. For some reason he went 302. His 96 Bronco he has is a 351w but this is a 302...

He promised me the Bronco when I was young and after I destroyed my S10 Blazer he gave me the Bronco. The only rule he set down is that I never swap the engine, I said that was ok... He handed me the keys and title right then and there. The ONLY reason I can't swap the engine is because of my grandfather. Well, one more rule, if I ever tire of the Bronco or want to sell it or something I have to go to him first; he said he would buy it back no matter the cost... He has a deep emotional attachment to this truck.

I can definitely understand the sentiment...but what happens if you crack the block, or seize the thing up, or you've rebuilt the thing so many times, there's no more room to bore out the cylinders? Extenuating circumstances? Or are you stuck with one big ass paper weight...or yard ornament as the woman in my life likes to call them?

That being said...I say you go stroker.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts