Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tread on my tires is low so its time for a replacement. The tires that were on the truck when I bought are Goodyear Trackers, 265-75-R15. I don't have any real complaints about these tires. Here is a pic when I first bought the truck:

That said, so far I have only ever used the Bronco on-road. Its my daily driver.... 30% of the time. I have always wanted to take it off-road, though nothing serious.

Now that its time to replace the tires I came to see what others have recommended. I can safely say I have read every post in every thread in the tires section, then again there are only 13 threads at this point.

I am looking for recommendations on a tire that is capable off-road, but still has good manners on-road where I will be using them the majority of the time. Any suggestions? I see most people seem to be very happy with Cooper Discoverer STT tires but looking at them I cant help wonder if they would be suitable for use on the highway.

By the way, I have seen the term mall-terrain come up. That could mean "mud-all-terrain" or maybe its "shopping-mall-terrain" like tires meant for on-road use only. Just curious, what does it mean?

Thanks.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
go to goodyears site and look up there tires if you are happy with the goodyears you have. They have several options that are a little more toward an AT versus what you have, still very streetable.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Personally i think a 31" tire looks killer on a bronco (slightly larger than what you're running now) i believe 31" tires was a stock option on broncos.. but i'm not sure.

on my explorer (which is mainly street driven, except for some occasional offroad use around the ranch, or pulling out other trucks, etc) i've been running 31" BFG AT's. they have good street manners, and they last a long time. only downside is they're expensive. (i paid $600 for the set, installed) however the set before that lasted about 45,000 miles. not bad for a set of tires.

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
Mall terrains meaning all terrains for running arond the mall... The STT's have great road manners but I think you need a little less mudder and more all terrain so try the BFG at's or the coopers discoverer st or discoverer LT. I prefer the Discoverer LT's over BFG

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
im running 32x11.5 sportking a/t's i love them. i payed like 105 each and now ive got 20k on them with atleast half tread left

·
Registered
24 Posts
A little pricey, but 31X10.5 BFG Mud Terrains KM2. Best tires i have ever owned for around $165 a piece at Discount tires.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
I have the 33" GY Wrangler Silent Armors. Have over 40K miles on them and they still have quite a few more miles in them They do great on the road and have not let me down off road.
Here is what they look like stock height.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I run the new MTR with Kevlar and i love it for many reasons. One it preforms well offroad. I beat the side walls on rocks and pinched the tires agains rocks and they came out fine. In the mud they seem to clean out pretty well, but better ant AT, and most MT's that i've owned. They have a really nice looking sidewall. I have driven mine well over 3K miles and they are with way quiter than the BFG AT's that i had on there before....even at 85mph! here is a pic of the tires on the truck...these are 37x12.50R17 if your wondering!
here is a good tread pic.

and a good sidewall tread pic

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've had two sets of MTRs. Great offroad tire, but not a good daily driver. My tires didnt last very long on the hiway.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey Walt I was looking at that tire for every day driving. We need to hear a review from somebody!
By the way. Is that you in the picture? I dont mean the fat kid. I'am talking about the school teacher!

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Hey Walt I was looking at that tire for every day driving. We need to hear a review from somebody!
By the way. Is that you in the picture? I dont mean the fat kid. I'am talking about the school teacher!
I wont be getting the tires for a month or so but yeah, I'll post my thoughts on them.

Yeah, that's an older pic of me back when I was a little bit more of a partyer. Now I look a little more like a librarian but I still have a nice ass!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was ready to pull the trigger on the General A/T tires ( Link to tire at Discount Tire ) before my BFG A/T's popped up on craigslist for a deal I couldn't pass up. My friend bought a set of the General's for his truck after his BFG's wore out and he says he like's them better than the BFG's so far. His use is similiar to yours, mostly on-road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 33x12.5 on my stock height bronco and I love them, They are Toyo open country M/T's good on and off road very happy with them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have SportKing A/T's on mine. I've been mostly happy with them...they were on the truck when I bought it. (Got the Bronco in PA...I see alot of this brand there, but rarely see it here in MI.) Probably have about 25K on them, and they have been wearing very evenly...I'd guess 60%+ tread left?

They are a P265/75/15 (31x10.5xR15 equivalent). It's a decent looking tire and does very well in the snow (I was able to make it through a Michigan winter with just those tires and a TrueTrac...the 4x4 was inop :doh0715:) They do OK in the slush, and OK in the rain, although above 60/65 mph they start to hydroplane a bit. No mud yet. A little noisy at highway speed, but a good riding tire.

--Otter

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wont be getting the tires for a month or so but yeah, I'll post my thoughts on them.

Yeah, that's an older pic of me back when I was a little bit more of a partyer. Now I look a little more like a librarian but I still have a nice ass!!!
I'm looking at getting the same tires in 33" soon. FYI, there is an $80 mail in rebate available through 7/10/10. This site has them for a pretty good price:

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/goodyear/31%2F10.50-15+goodyear+goodyear+wrangler+duratrac+109q+owl.html

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The bridge-stone Duellers I had before my lift were great, something else to consider, very quiet on the street and did reasonably well at some offroading here.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just found a site which gives reviews of various AT & MT tires, kind of like other on-line tire comparison sites, but more Off-Road centric, giving rankings in various categories (street, sand, mud, snow, trail, rock). Good variety.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/AT-All_Terrains.htm

Depending on what categories are more important to you, General Grabber AT2, Toyo Open Country, Cooper Discoverer ST, and the Firestone Destination AT seem to score well for an AT category.

-- Otter

1 - 20 of 26 Posts