Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I did a semi-soft top fast back version of this a year ago or so. As far as looks goes I love it, main issue is with back seat passengers (and a couple of minor design issues).

In any case, I have recently aquired the "donor" hard top to now work on my hard shelled version. I haven't completely decided on doing the fast back version or a modified half cab version that allows rear seaters to be a bit more comfortable.

Anyways, let me know which you like better...if any.

Bakes

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
First picture will give you the same results as the top you built.... I'd pass on that idea. Second picture is better, but would, realistically, be moved back another 6-8". Cool thing with the second idea is, you can get yourself a second rear window motor, and still have use of your rear slider window - or just move your rear window and tailgate guts forward. If you bulid it right, the half-cab top and rear wall could come out, allowing you to use your stock hardtop, if you chose too

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
I like the second option as well. i have a little one so it would make things much easier.

late

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
why dont you make the fastback style go all the way back to the tailgate. i think it would look smoother, and give more headroom to the peeps in the back.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the hard top looks great from the side, but what would it look like from the rear? I like the idea but am concerned about how would it be weather proof. Keep us posted:thumbup

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the deal.

The whole reason I started this project was so that I could run "top less" in less than 30 seconds with minimal effort. The fast back achieved that with the roll up rear window but at the expense of rear passengers over 4'.

I am not sure if the current half cab design will give me the same open air feeling as the fast back or a completely topless vehicle.

The problem with the half cab design as drawn is that it still does not solve the headroom problem. Like D78 said, it will have to be 7-8" and more likely a foot+ longer because of the slant and such. The main problem with that is that the longer half cab (more like a 2/3 cab) makes things out of balance and looks funny (at least on paper) it also reduces the ability for open air driving.

Looks like I need to go back to the drawing board for a bit and figure out something I like.

As far as the rear I am thinking along the lines of a drop in insert made out of diamond plate. It will look kind of like the tool boxes I made a year or so ago except will have a diamond plate bottom and a removable bulkhead right behind the seat. Think Avalanche or SUT cargo bed and you have the idea.
Here is a pic of the toolboxes before I painted them and put the access doors on them

In any case, that's kind of what I am thinking. I have some time off coming up in a week so I plan on putting some pretty serious work into them over the break.

Later

Bakes

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't see the point of a hard top half cab. I think they look terrible but, then again i've never seen one done well. Wow, I love the semi-soft top fast back version and here's why; It's perfect for summer driving b/c if the weather gets wet you can just pull over and snap the soft top on and go. With the soft top off you can enjoy topless driving. With the hard tonneau in the back you can go into the grocery store with the soft top off and not have to worry about sticky fingers as much b/c the bed is mostly covered. Put some hydraulic rods on the tonneau shell so it will lift up and allow easier access to the bed and be fancy. With the rear glass down you can't lock the gate though can you? What are some of the issues you are having with the fast back version? Water proofing?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK,

I thought about it some more and have decided to go against all recommendations and do the fast back

The reason is that I really want the easy open air driving and I don't think I can get that with the 1/2 or 2/3 cab.

Plus I love the current fast back look.....Especially with bike rack on back. Looks like I have a .50 cal mounted on back!

I wish I had run the hard top edge the full length of the bed rails otherwise I would just convert this top to hard shelled. I guess that's why it's called a prototype.

The rear bed will be completely sealed against the elements so that I can run with or without tonneau.

This style is so much more open. I will figure out some sort of system where the rear window opens and something can be attached to help protect the rear seaters from the elements. But for the most part I won't have rear seaters anyways.

Anyways, let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts. I will be starting in a week or so once I have the designs finalized.

Later

Bakes

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
I like the last picture.

I saw a 74 oldschool bronc a few months ago that was half cab. Sittin on 33x12.5 BFG mud's and a 4" rough country lift.302,3spd auto tranny, blue&white, D44 with a 9" rear, so new that the underside of the truck didnt have all that oily grungy shit all over everything.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,517 Posts
SquattyD said:
why dont you make the fastback style go all the way back to the tailgate. i think it would look smoother, and give more headroom to the peeps in the back.
Yes... that's a great idea! :goodfinge :lowblow
:thehand

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I am against the full slant back is that I am looking more for this

Otherwise it would be in the consideration

Later

Bakes

·
Registered
237 Posts
So, it's a tonneau in the back not a hardshell. Oops! I like the idea of open air wheeling in under a minute. The fast back rocks! I assume you had the soft top custom made? Show us some pics. when it's done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rear cargo area is designed for either hard shell or soft or neither (i.e. it will be waterproof to the front compartment)

I will fab up or (retrofit one from a supercrew) a bed extender as well.

The soft top was custom made to fit over the steel frame I made up.

Later

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Where do you get the tops made? how much does it set you back? I'd like to make up a top for mine, but I'm not sure where to go. I was thinking marine shops might be able to do it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts