Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 of my stock aluminum rims have pinhole leaks. Looking to replace them with the "strong" and cheap steel rock crawlers (about $130 for 4 of them)

They are only rated I think to 1,600 pounds each. Anybody run them?

Would they be OK or should I try and find something stronger?

Thanks

Bakes

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have been giving serious consideration to buying the black 15x10 steel wheels to replace my current Eage 589 wheels (which are 15x10s also). I like the way the black wheels look better.
Are there any issues to consider before I decide on this ?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I have 15x10 crawlers with 35's and they are fine ... seem to be pretty tough ... if you are a wheeler you just can't beat steel rims .. they are a bit heavier, but they take the abuse better

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
miseroth said:
Are there any issues to consider before I decide on this ?
Thanks!
The only thing I can add (cause I like steelies too) is if you plan on runnin' larger tires (37's and up or wide tires like M/T Bajas) I'd run Bart or Eatons. Same style just made for bigger tires. I run the Eatons and love 'em!! :thumbup

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
steelies ROCK. Wheel, dent em, sledge back into shape and then file em smooth.
All i have been running for the last few years are the us wheel steelies, 15x10 on my 35's, now I am 17x9 allieds with the 37's. Will wheel them soon, but I am sure they will be great as usual :imp

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK.

You've sold me on the steel rims. I currently run 32x11.5 but will move up to at either 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 in the near future. The question now is: would you prefer 15x10 or 15x8 for the 12.5 inch width tire size.

I understand some of the basic theories for and against....improved stability with the 10 wide rims, better rim protection with the 8 inch wide. Anybody done before and after with 10" vs 8"

Just want to make sure I'mnot missing anything

Thanks

Bakes

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Blaze, where did you get your Eaton's from?

And does anyone know of a 16 x 9 steel wheel, preferably the wagon wheel style (aka cheap)?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Get the 15x8's then when you are ready to step up to 35/37. DIY beadlock kits will make them about 15x 9/9.5. Plan to grow, save you some cash in the long run

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
I got my Eatons from NTW Squatty, as far as width I like the 10's also. But Franklin's right if you plan to go with bead locks down the road a weld on ring put's you close to 10 when added to an 8 inch rim...IF you plan to go that route...if not, I'd go 10's and be done with it...:beer

The cool thing with steelies is...if you phuck on up beyond the BFH that Plug mentioned, you can be back on the trails for under 100 bucks mounted balance and all vs. the couple hundred just to replace an alloy...:thumbup

·
Registered
918 Posts
I dont know if its too late or not but we run the black rock crawlers on our 2001 Excursion..They are 16" rims with 37 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts